This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jillana

Guest segreta

Guest segreta

Could somebody tell me about her dance career?I'd appreciated any information a lot. Especially if someone knew what's her real name! Everywhere I've seen her name it's been just "Jillana".. :)

Guest jillana
Originally posted by jillana:

Originally posted by *Segreta*:

[qb]Could somebody tell me about her dance career?I'd appreciated any information a lot. Especially if someone knew what's her real name! Everywhere I've seen her name it's been just "Jillana"..    :)

[/QB]

You might check my web site: www.jillanaschool.com. Jillana has always been my name! no more, no less

:)

Guest segreta

Oh, thanks for unraveling the mystery! :)

And thanks a lot for the link too, your website is very intresting! :)

To give you some background, Segreta, Jillana is an American ballerina who danced with New York City Ballet (beginning with Ballet Society, I believe), American Ballet Theatre (briefly) -- and on Broadway. She was part of the generation of City Ballet dancers known for their individuality -- Diana Adams, Tanaquil LeClerq, Melissa Hayden, Patricia Wilde, Allegra Kent. She was in the original cast of "Liebeslieder Walzer" and created the role of Helena in Balanchine's "A Midsummer Night's Dream," and was the first Coquette in the NYCB production of "Night Shadow."

I can give you some further information. Jillana retired to San Diego - and that is where I knew her. I was in class with her many, many times - both as a classmate and when she would occasionally teach class.

She danced with San Diego Ballet under the artistic direction of Keith Martin and Sonia Arova. She danced Juliet in Romeo and Juliet with Sonia Arova's husband Thor Sutowski.

I can tell you from personal experience she is not only a very lovely dancer, a great teacher, but also a very kind and caring person. I got to talk to her quite a bit one evening when she was at my home, as well as in ballet class.

Basheva

Segreta, there is an entry about Jillana in Horst Koegler's "Concise Oxford dictionary of ballet" (a very useful book, by the way. It is out of print on amazon.com, but seems to be available on amazon.co.uk). It says that she studied with Emily Hatley and the School of American Ballet, and joined the Ballet Society in 1948. She became a soloist of the NYCB in 1955 and stayed with the company until 1966 (dancing for one season 1957-58 with ABT). As Alexandra wrote, she was in the original casts of "Liebeslieder Walzer" (1960) and "A Midsummer night's dream" (1962), and also Robbins' "The Pied Piper" (1951). It also says that her name was Jillana Zimmermann.

And, I believe Jillana's teacher, Emily Hatley, was Diana Adams mother.

(BTW, I agree with you on the usefulness of Horst Koegler's dictionary, Estelle. The new version ("The Oxford Dictionary of Dance") is troublesome -- a lot of omissions, lots of complaints of inaccuracies, and, perhaps most important, the lack of Koegler's broad background and knowledge. I've been saving up some book announcements and comments, including one about this one, and hope to get to them this weekend.)

Guest jillana

Mr. Koegler made a few errors in his book regarding my background: I joined Ballet Society in 1947, was made a principal, by passing soloist, in 1955 and left the company in 1967. Emily Hadley was Diana Adam's stepmother. :)

[Edited to delete a posting error. AT]

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: alexandra ]

Guest Ange4567

OMG, you are really Jillana? Wow! My mom has an old book with photos of you in it(can't remember the name of the photo.. think it had fonteyn in it?)

Anyways, nice to meet you! You look like such a wonderful dancer!

**Can you tell I've never met anyone famous before??**