This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Need help with shoes

My son is actually a figure skater and has been taking private dance lessons for the past year. His teacher is excellent, but pretty flexible on clothes for him since they've been utilizing various dance styles to improve his skating. And because of this he has always had his lessons in his socks. Now he's actually gotten fairly good and she is transitioning him to more traditional ballet instruction. So, we went out and bought our first pair of ballet shoes today to prevent him from sliding into the wall when he jumps across the floor. One problem, you have to sew the elastic on and I want to learn to do it the right way and basically haven't got a clue. I know it crosses around the foot, but should I hand sew or machine-stitch? straight or zig-zag? inside or outside of the shoe? Since I've never had to deal with this before, I'm at a loss. If any one could give me input or point me to a site that has instructions, I'd be very grateful. java script:emoticon(':smilie_mondieu:')

smilie

Ballet Talk is a site to discuss ballet performances, news, and aesthetic issues. This question is appropriate for our sister board, Ballet Talk for Dancers:

http://www.dancers.invisionzone.com

You'll need to register there as well in order to post your question. Right now, the username "figrsk8r" is available.

On the site, you'll find a lot of information about dance training and forums for parents (Ballet Moms and Dads/Parents of Boys). While many of the parents have children who are primarily dancers, you may find some of the threads enlightening.

(I'm closing this thread.)