This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi at the Met, NYC (July 18/30 '05)

Ticket Availability Update:

July 20 Don Quixote Family Circle only

July 21 Don Quixote Family Circle only

July 22, 23 Mat & Eve: Spartacus SOLD OUT

July 25 Bright Stream: Seats in all sections except Side Parterre

July 26 Bright Stream: Seats in all sections except Side Parterre

July27 Bright Stream: Seats in all sections except Side Parterre

July 28-30 Mat & Eve: Pharaoh's Daughter SOLD OUT

Here is the latest update on the "Spartacus" casting:

Friday, July 22, 2005

8:00 pm

Klevtsov, Antonicheva, Volchkov, Allash

Saturday, July 23, 2005

2:00 pm

Vorobiev, Kaptsova, Neporozhny, Shipulina

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Klevtsov, Lunkina, Volchkov, Allash

Now I know about Lunkina and saw Antonicheva. What about these men? Any comments on these boys?

Klevtsov is the young dancer who was cast in the Donnellan/Poklitaru Romeo and Juliet reworking that the Bolshoi brought on tour last year.

He was tall and thin, and both his looks and dancing were a little pale in R&J; Romeo was rather passive in this conception. Juliet was the focal point. That doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have the range to dance Spartacus, but he would have to embody a passionate hero, not a de-clawed, neurotic one, and carry an entire ballet. My impression was that he is a very talented young dancer, but I think it might take a prodigy to pull this off.

Here is the latest update on the "Spartacus" casting:

Friday, July 22, 2005

Klevtsov, Antonicheva, Volchkov, Allash   

Saturday, July 23, 2005

2:00 pm

Vorobiev, Kaptsova, Neporozhny, Shipulina   

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Klevtsov, Lunkina, Volchkov, Allash 

Now I know about Lunkina and saw Antonicheva.  What about these men?  Any comments on these boys?

In the Times last week

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/15/arts/dance/15bols.html

Artistic Director Ratmansky singled out Vorobiev as a young star to see in Spartacus. His Phrygia, Kaptsova, has distinguished herself as Cupid in the first two DQ's (a different role to Phrygia for sure, but she seems to have the right look), as did Shipulina in the undemanding role of Dryad Queen Tuesday. Klevtsov seemed relatively inclined towards virtuosity as Basil. Frankly, given there're no Vasilievs on the scene, all three casts have merit.

YURI KLEVTSOV is hardly young by ballet standards. he joined the troupe in '88, has been seen on previous NY tours; my guess is that he's mid-late 30s.

:jawdrop::rofl::wub:

I am so sorry -- Klevtsov was the excellent Mercutio, not Romeo. Romeo was Denis Savin. I would see Klevtsov as Spartacus.

Thank you for correcting me, rg.

With tickets still available for Bright Stream, July 25-27, perhaps some photos of this ballet would prove useful. First, pictures of Maria Alexandrova's Golden Mask (something like an Oscar for ballet) winning performance may be found at

http://www.bolshoi.org/stars/alexandrova/photo-eng.htm

by clicking Bright Stream, 'though clicking other ballets will not displease!

Then a fascinating contrite statement by Bright Stream's composer, Shostakovich, may be found at

http://www.bolshoi.org/balet/stream/page-1-eng.htm

By clicking on Libretto, one may find the libretto, which lead to death in a Gulag for its writer. By clicking on the image of a camera, a large photo set of the ballet will appear.