This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT pointed as a member of Unesco

From the company:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE APPOINTED AS A MEMBER OF UNESCO

1/5/2005 - American Ballet Theatre will serve on the U.S. National Commission for the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as a representative of non-governmental organizations. The appointment, which became effective November 15, 2004, was made by United States Secretary of State Colin L. Powell.

In joining the National Commission, American Ballet Theatre, led by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie, will become a member of a Federal Advisory Committee that supports worldwide humanitarian development and values by coordinating efforts from federal, state and local governments and from non-governmental organizations on issues of education, science, communications and culture. The Federal Advisory Committee is comprised of over 40 non-governmental organizations including the American Film Institute, the Carnegie Corporation, Fort Worth Zoo, Gettysburg National Foundation, National Geographic Society and Freedom House, among others.

Through the work of its members, UNESCO’s global efforts include promoting cultural diversity, improving literacy rates, protecting world ecosystems, promoting freedom of expression and preserving human rights.

“It is an honor for American Ballet Theatre to serve on the National Commission for UNESCO,” said Kevin McKenzie. “As America’s National Ballet Company, we hope to bring our own brand of cultural excellence to the important committees serving UNESCO.”

I have to ask: why does McKenzie persist in calling ABT the country's National Ballet company? Am I missing something here? Is there any factual basis to this claim? Every time ABT claims this, it puts my teeth on edge. But then I must ask, maybe I'm being unfair and I've missed something. So I'm honestly asking, is there some reason they get to claim this other than the use of American is in the title?

I guess they can call themselves whatever they want; I'm not going to stop them. (Seeing as how the inclusion of the word "American" in their name was not decided by the US government or We The People, but by ABT itself, well they already are calling themselves whatever they want. As it is written: "This is America..." :wink:)

At the same time, I don't recall Bush or anyone in his administration anointing ABT as The Official Ballet Company of the United States of America. :seehearspeak: Of course, this decision from Powell may constitute such a declaration. But all the same, I do find it rather pretentious of them to appoint or advertise themselves as our National Company. Maybe if they were the largest or were the undisputed guardians of the American style of classical ballet, or some combination thereof, they'd get away with it. But then there's that Other Ballet Company which just happened to be founded by the man credited with bringing ballet to America, and making a uniquely American style of ballet. :D

All annoyance aside, I think it's great that a ballet company gets to have input to UNESCO, even though I'm not entirely sure what such a position entails, besides

promoting cultural diversity, improving literacy rates, protecting world ecosystems, promoting freedom of expression and preserving human rights.

I have a feeling it's got something to do with "cultural diversity" or "freedom of expression."

Another thing that operates in a capability to cause anyone of anything to call itself "America's National...." In most countries, the State and the Government are separate things. In the United States, the President is not only the Head of State, but also the head of Government. In those countries, everything is pretty evenly divided between the two entities. In the US, there is a curious vacuum which surrounds "the Nation" and almost anything could jump into it. It's what keeps the elections interesting, and the evening news salacious.

ABT has, like other companies, toured under the auspices of the USAID, as a representative of the US (Agnes deMille accompanied them to Russia in (I think it was) the 60's -- there is an interesting issue of Dance Perspectives that included excerpts from her diaries during the trip) -- I don't think this is what made them add "American" to their name (as Ballet Society became New York City Ballet with their tenure at City Center), but it's a part of their history.

Naima Prevots' "Dance for Export" is a very readable history of the governemnt support of touring dance companies as cultural representatives in the 1950's.

ABT has, like other companies, toured under the auspices of the USAID, as a representative of the US (Agnes deMille accompanied them to Russia in (I think it was) the 60's -- there is an interesting issue of Dance Perspectives that included excerpts from her diaries during the trip) -- I don't think this is what made them add "American" to their name (as Ballet Society became New York City Ballet with their tenure at City Center), but it's a part of their history.

Naima Prevots' "Dance for Export" is a very readable history of the governemnt support of touring dance companies as cultural representatives in the 1950's.

As I recall, Ballet Theatre changed its name to American Ballet Theatre in 1957 or so when it was doing State Dept. sponsored tours abroad.