This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Renovations to the Mariinsky?

A few weeks ago, the Minister of culture would have mentioned in an interview that the Mariinsky (and the Bolshoi) would close for renovations... Would anyone have further information on this, and would this affect the current season or the next one?

Only the Bolshoi's closure, at the end of the present season, has been announced with exact dates. This was done with certainty after the Bolshoi's new theater (next-door to the 'old' one) was completed.

To the best of my knowledge, the closure of the 'old' Mariinsky has not been announced with exact dates...only a wishy-washy mention that it will happen in the coming months or years. If the closure of the present old theater is to happen after the 'new' Mariinsky opens ...then we have a long time to wait, as construction of the 'new' Mariinsky has not even begun. They're still 'negotiating' the displacement of people who reside in the current buildings, aren't they? That's the last that I've heard but a lot may have happened in 6 months' time. Anyone know?

Or perhaps the Mariinsky troupe will go the route of the Royal Ballet during the closure of the ROH in London, i.e., be like nomads, playing in totally unsuitable theaters and tour even more than usual. Perhaps we'll experience the joys of the Mariinsky Ballet being the 'resident troupe' of the ugly, Soviet-style Oktyabrisky Concert Hall, for 2-3 years? Heaven forbid that!