This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Le Corsaire - Gulnare variation

Hey! I am searching for a clean version of the Gulnare variation performed by Paloma Herrera in the ABT's version of Le Corsaire Act I. I looked at the other Le Corsaire posts on this board, but none of them seemed to deal with this variation in particular. Does anyone know where I can get it, or if the variation is on the Le Corsaire version found at www.christopherseminars.com? I tried to listen to the excerpts, but didn't find it. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Bally

Unfortunatly, there is no recording in print of this peice, the "Pas d'esclave" fro Le Corsaire (if u want to see a better version of not only the ballet but the variation check out the kirovs. FAR BETTER) it was recorded once, on a CD called "Musique pour les ballet de la Marius Petipa" that is long out of print. Your best bet is to record the Varition off of the video.

Thanks Solor! I tried doing that, but there is a lot of clapping on the ABT version. I was hoping to use that variation for an audition, but I guess that won't be possible. I was also actually considering another variation from Le Corsaire, Medora (Julie Kent)'s variation in Act III (in the dream sequence I believe)...do you happen to know if there is any available recording of that? I tried splicing the one off of the dvd to cut out the applause, but it just sounds a little bit funny :( . Thanks...the Le Corsaire music is so darn hard to find :( !

Bally

Bally -

U dont have to.

she danced 2....theres the variation in the pas de deux (in the case of the full ballet, pas de trois) thats by Drigo, and u wont find it anywhere, the one recording is long out of print ("Ballet Gala" Orchestra of the London Festival Ballet, conducted by Terance Kern - this CD has the famous Pas De Deux, re-orchestrated by Lanchbery, with the REAL solo for Medora in 2/4). the other variation Kent danced, in the scene "la jardin anime" (the flower scene) she substitutes, in the place of the real variation for Medora, a variation from Don Q, A very Strauss-like waltz. that is available on both recordings of Don Q available (you can order them from any music store more than likely). Heres a list of them:

"Don Quijote"

Boris Spassov

Sofi National Opera Orchestra

on the label capriccio

and

"Don Quixote"

Nayden Todorov

Sofia National Opera Orchestra

on the label Naxos

of the 2, as far as conducting goes, the 2nd one is the best. Not olny for the variation you wish to perform, but also for all the other numbers. Theres a BUNCH of solos here in there original arrangment of good ol' Minkus, and they are GRRRRRRRRR8!

BY THE WAY - For a better example of Corsaire, watch the Kirov! ITS INCREDIBLE (however stupid the story may be) I just watched this version, and if u still want to do Gulnare's solo from the Pas D'Escalve" (the pas de deux Herrera dances with Malakhov in the ABT film) , the Kirov's film has virtually no noise in the back round during the variation. The Pas D'esclave is danced in the Kirov film by Yelena Pankova and Konstantin Zaklinsky. If u have ur TV hooked up to ur VCR or DVD player, you can make a pretty good recording, if not, there are some recording studios that will do it for you for like a few bucks

GOOD LUCK MY FELLOW BALLET DANCER!

Solor

Hey! I am searching for a clean version of the Gulnare variation performed by Paloma Herrera in the ABT's version of Le Corsaire Act I. I looked at the other Le Corsaire posts on this board, but none of them seemed to deal with this variation in particular. Does anyone know where I can get it, or if the variation is on the Le Corsaire version found at www.christopherseminars.com? I tried to listen to the excerpts, but didn't find it. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Bally

you could just ripp the audio from the DVD to .wav, trim it using a .wav editor (llike CoolEditPro) and then burn to CD.

I've done this many times for my ballet teacher for music (Le Corsiare, Don Q, Raymonda, ... ) in her variations class. The audio tempo from music from dvd is generally better to dance to than a CD (depending on the CD and then that requires expense and effort to find a CD with good tempo).

-goro-

I did try to do that but couldn't cut out the applause :) . But I decided to do another variation so I don't need the music anymore...but thank you very much for the information! I'm sure it will prove very useful to me in the future! :)

Bally