This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Volochkova in film at NY Int'l Filmfest?

I'm hoping that our NY 'Bolshoi watchers' can confirm this.

The following article from today's Komsomolskaya Pravda (St Pete edition). It's in Russian but the 'gist' is that Volochkova is appearing in a film, 'Black Prince,' about the poet Alexander Pushkin, set to premiere in a film festival in NY. There was a bit of a brou-ha-ha about the screenplay & 'idea' of this film having been stolen by the film director, Anatoly Ivanov (from another director)...and another small brou-ha-ha about Volochkova's 'Janet Jackson'-style exposure in the original version of the film, which had to be edited out prior to the film's world premiere in NY soon. [is this poor ballerina capable of doing anything without a hint of scandal?]

I'm curious if this film is indeed premiering in NYC. When? Where? The article just states that it will premiere in NY. Please confirm, somebody.

The article's link:

http://spb.kp.ru/daily/culture/doc46133/

(apologies if this has somehow already made it to our normal 'links' forum.

- Natalia

one thing would seem certain, this 'black prince' film is not slated for the upcoming DANCE ON CAMERA FESTIVAL 2005, which runs from jan. 7 through the 22nd and which is announced w/o any mention of this pushkin-inspired film. other posts have likely been made to note the screenings in this festival of LATE PREMIERE, a film by victor bocharov (evidently a descendant of aleksandr bocharov, who co-authored a 1939 soviet book on 'character dance' with aleksandr shiryaev and andrei lopukhov). v.bocharov's film, LATE PREMIERE, dwells on the early films made by aleksandr shiryaev, a character dancer in the imperial ballet and one-time assistant to marius petipa and the originator and choreographer of the now-famed 'hoop dance'/trepak in the 1892 NUTCRACKER premiere. but i digress...

(pardon any redundancy but bocharov's shiyarev documentary, with historical clips dating from 1906 - 08, is scheduled for screenings on jan. 14, 15 & 18.)

Natalia, according to --> this link, the film was shown in October.

Thanks carbro. The link mentions Volochkova's live dancing appearance & a number of Russian films but nothing about "Black Prince" (unless I need to go further into the website?). Regardless, thanks for the link. Sorry that I missed this; a lot of the events sound as if they were fascinating!

So the 'mystery screening' of this Black Prince film continues.

RG - That rare film of Shiriaev sounds intriguing. If there weren't so much going on in DC in mid-January, I'd go see it! (Kirov Season here...plus Moiseyev and lots of other things)