This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Choreographer's Course at the Vaganova Acad.

I'm not sure if this was posted elsewhere (outside this forum) but I find it important enough to mention here:

During this academic year (2004/05), the Vaganova Academy has instituted a professional choreography curriculum, with ex-director of the Bolshoi Ballet, Yuri Grigorovich, as professor. Among the first group of 'students' is the Kirov-Mariinsky star, Andrian Fadeev, and the Paris Opera Ballet soloist, Karl Paquette. This may explain, in part, why Fadeev has not been included in the tours to Taiwan & Germany this fall...and won't be in DC this January.

The Vaganova Acad. has taught a 'choreography' class for some time, for its child-students but never before as 'adult education'/returning professionals.

I find this interesting and very positive...although I wonder what the St. Petersburg Conservatoire (the traditional 'local' training ground for choreographers) or Moscow's GITIS Institute, think about this? Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the new Vaganova Academy program can clarify the uniqueness of these various programs?

Isn't Grigorovich replacing Georgi Alexidze, who was mugged in Moscow earlier this year and is on the mend, but now back in Georgia, I believe?

Alexidze has taught choreography at the school for some time.

I guess not, because as far as I know Alexidze taught students.

Alexei Miroschnichenko, a Kirov dancer/choreographer, is also now starting to teach choreography -- is this, too, at the Vaganova Academy?

sounds interesting, do you know where I could get further information???

Joseph, I would try the Vaganova's own site, for starters (in English, as well as Russian & Japanese):

www.vaganova.ru

Thalictum, Alexidze was indeed mugged & suffered very serious injuries this past summer. For now, the post of Director of Choreography at the Vaganova Academy remains vacant; Grigorovich is mere 'Professor.' Perhaps this is out of respect to Alexidze, in hope that he will be able to return someday? [similar to the Stanislavsky Ballet/Moscow not wishing to fill the post of Artistic Director out of respect for the missing Dmitri Briantsev...although there the situation may be more grim, many of us fear...but we can pray for good news. What a horrible, criminal summer in the world of Russian ballet!]

The wonderful one-act 'Sylvia' danced by the Academy's students for the past two years (recreating the Benois designs of the 1902 Mariinsky production) was to Alexidze's choreography, by the way.

re. Mironischenko - This is news to me. Maybe at Vaganova.