This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sylvia (various versions)

Leo Delibes' "Sylvia" is among the most exquisite ballet scores, yet is rarely performed today. While anxiously awaiting the November 2004 premiere of the Royal Ballet's revival of Sir Frederick Ashton's 1952 version, I thought it interesting to ask Ballet Alert readers to consider this ballet, perhaps relating impressions of versions seen at one time or another.

Most recently, we had Mark Morris' version for the San Francisco ballet (which I haven't seen). In spring 2003, I saw a delightful two-act version by Georgi Alexidze for the Vaganova Academy students....earlier (1997) an intriguing modern bersion for the Paris Opera Ballet by John Neumeier...and earlier still (ca 1979) a spectacular 'traditional' version, also at POB, by Lycette Darsonval, in a telecast. [The Darsonval version was recently re-staged at the National Ballet of China, Beijing, and stars Delphine Moussin of the POB as Sylvia, who I saw in the Neumeier version.]

There has been at least one other version (early 1990s) for the Birmingham Royal Ballet, by David Bintley. I seem to recall reading that it was more 'modern' than 'traditional.' Miyako Yoshina starred as Sylvia.

Of course, here in the USA, we have the 'Sylvia Pas de Deux' by Balanchine.

The original, choreographed by Louis Merante, premiered in 1876 in Paris. Paris has since seen multiple stagings (Leo Staats, Albert Aveline, Serge Lifar, and the aforementiond Darsonval and Neumeier renderings).

An important, yet short-lived, early version was 1902 Mariinsky Imperial Ballet staging, choreographed by Lev Ivanov and Pavel Gerdt, overseen by Sergei Diaghilev & his Mir Iskusstvo confreres. Designs by Benois.

What have I missed? Any & all thoughts/comments on this gem of a ballet score -- and its various stagings -- are welcome!

Here's another tidbit that I found in the Russian Encyclopaedia of Ballet, in the entry "Sylvia": The Vaganova Academy version that I saw at the Hermitage in 2003 was a restaging of Georgi Alexidze's original version for the Perm Opera & Ballet Theater in 1982, with Lyudmilla Schipulina dancing the title role. The designs of the Vaganova Acad version are reproductions of the Benois originals from the 1902 Mariinsky Ivanov/Gerdt version, not what was used in Perm, 1982.