This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Choreographic Workshop

So did anyone go see the choreographic workshop at the Betty Oliphant Theatre last weekend? As always it was rather hit and miss, but I still enjoy going. Because it is a much smaller venue, the choreographers (mostly dancers from the company) are allowed much more freedom...

The program began with a solo for Guillaume Cote by Kudelka set to Purcell's Chacony and concluded with a comical piece by Matjash Mrozewski- "Canard Sauvage". Mrozewski's piece was a farce of classical ballet, with snippets of Swan Lake and the Nutcracker.

I thought the strongest piece was Stephanie Hutchison's "Selah" danced by Martine Lamy (absolutely radiant) and Jean-Sebastien Colau. The choreography felt natural and fluid. Selah seemed especially poignant in light of the fact that Lamy will be retiring in 2005. The piece has a sense of introspective remembrance mixed with an embrace of the future. According to the program: "Selah is a Hebrew word... a thought-link which bids one to look back and mark the connection with what is to follow".

The program was especially heavy on Philip Glass. Cote's "Over the hill hides the sun", Je-An Salas' "Vanderwaals Forces", and Rebekah Rimsay's "Luna" all used his music. Salas' work seemed to capture the dynamic force of the music most effectively.

Sorry I can't mention all the pieces, I'm off to ballet class. If anyone else went, please chime in!