This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker, biarritz ballet

hi! past month the biarritz ballet came to my country.

they play the nutcracker and i like it very very much.

i really like one of their dancers (i don't know his name and i'm sorry for it), dancing as Droselmeyer, he has a wonderful leg-line and his arabesques are so beautiful. In Droselmeyer he had a great appearance.

the spectacule was so magic, and so original too, i really enjoyed it so much.

i want to know if someone has seen that nutcracker to change opinions.

love:

Lu

Lu, I haven't seen that Nutcracker, but I have seen Thierry Malandain's company (which was to become the Ballet Biarritz) a few seasons ago in Paris, in a mixed bill with choreographies by Malandain, and had enjoyed it a lot. Malandain is one of the very few French choreographers with a real ballet background, and his works were musical and well-structured. One month ago, the Ballet Biarritz performed in Massy (near Paris) with another mixed bill, but unfortunately I couldn't attend it.

Thierry Malandain is a choreographer in his early 40s, who danced with several companies including the POB and the Ballet du Rhin, and created his own company "Temps présent" around 1986. His company stayed in Saint-Etienne (a city in the region of Lyon) for several years, and in 1998 it became a state-funded "Centre Chorégraphique National" in Biarritz, in the pays basque (just near the Spanish frontier, on the Atlantic).

The company has a web site at:

http://www.balletbiarritz.com/

but it seems to work bizarrely...

There is a list of dancers on that page, with some photographs:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ballet.biarritz/ht...au1/danseur.htm

From what I've read, the company has been quite successful since it settled in Biarritz, they tour quite a lot in the region (but unfortunately, not so much near Paris). They receive some support from ths Spanish region of Guipuzcoa, and seem quite involved in some projects with French-Spanish basque cooperation Also Malandain now is the director of the dance festival "Le temps d'aimer" which takes place every fall in Biarritz (and is one of the few French dance festivals not ignoring totally ballet- most of the festivals in France focus only on modern/contemporary dance). It's nice to see that such a company works well, in a city which had no resident company before...

[ January 05, 2002: Message edited by: Estelle ]

I've just seen on the web page of the company that they'll be performing in NYC between March 18 and 24 with the program "Un hommage aux Ballets Russes" (a mixed bill with works using the scores of "Le spectre de la rose", "L'après-midi d'un faune", "Boléro" and "Pulcinella"). I hope that some of the members of this board will attend it and share their impressions...

Also I saw a page about some choreographers invited by the company: Birgid Baker (American, from NYC), Alberto de Leon (from Mexico) and Renatus Hoogenraad (from the Netherlands, danced with the Royal Ballet of Flanders). Has anybody heard about them?