This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ashley Tuttle

Gia Kourlas, in Time Out New York, writes about the much-rumored departure of Ashley Tuttle from ABT in the latest issue. "According to an impeccable company source, Tuttle, who joined American Ballet Theatre 17 years ago, was informed her services were no longer needed -- just a week and a half before the season ended."

Kourlas then reports on Tuttle's last show, performing Juliet in Romeo and Juliet on July 2. Kourlas quotes company spokesperson Kelly Ryan, "We don't comment on personnel issues. We're hopeful that she'll return next year, and that's all we're going to say." ABT chairman of the board Lewis Rainieri did not respond to calls from TONY. Kourlas also wrote that Tuttle is not "talking at the moment (her lawyers have advised her not to commen)t." But Kourlas also notes Tuttle's inclusion in the ABT City Center season press release.

You can read about it further in the June 22-29 issue.

This is, indeed, a very touchy subject. Tickets to ABT are very expensive and my standing room days are long over. When I spend top dollar for a ticket, I want what I consider top performer. I can easily accept any performer on a mixed bill program---but when it comes to an evening long ballet, I am very choosy.

I reported this on BT July 3, but was edited by moderators because no official company or press notice had emerged. (A policy I agree with, by the way)Suprised it took 20 days to become post-worthy. Especially considering the standing ovation given to Ms. Tuttle that eve as knowing fans converged. Not to mention the big backstage party following the performance complete with with toasts and good wishes.

Sorry to hear lawyers are involved. That's never a good sign. Whatever one might think of her performances (and she certainly has strong supporters), to dismiss her after all those years is unclassy of Kevin. But I would like to hear the other side. Could he be sending a signal to Broadway bound dancers? Hope not.

Ironically, Tuttle is featured in a new Movado advertisement (seen in the September Vogue). Movado - the same company that dropped its sponsorship of ABT. But the joke isn't on ABT, but on NYCB, which picked up the sponsorship after the watch company switched allegiances.