This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"stars and strips": a remembrance

every fourth of july i remember and salute in my memory a russian ballet teacher who died at about 49 years of age in 1989

i was privileged to know, and observe classes taught by, vladimir davidov, who came here from russia

he had taught for some time at igal perry's school on 18th street, and at vladimir dokoudovsky's school at 56th and broadway

he danced for a while with abt, and was a notable bayadere rajah in the baryshnikov era

his character class was divine, and included people of all ages (including children) and at all levels of ballet expertise

the fourth of july connection is:

mr davidov, when i first met him, was not too happy with balanchine's style

however, over some years, he began to incorporate elements of that style in his classes, and we noticed an uncharacteristic little smile beginning to show on his face when that was done

becoming versed in the balanchine rep to some extent, he referred to a certain balanchine work as "stars and strips"

i believe that his earnest mispronunciation was taken seriously by those of us there, and i was happy to participate in mr davidov's gradual americanization

he was a very sincere person, and the occasion was so touching

a marvelous teacher, taken from us too soon

a fourth of july salute to mr d and to mr b, and to the country that produced them