This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2 more 'albums' of russian/soviet ballet postcards

Wonderful rg - I have enjoyed your photos so much and I have dutifully printed out and stuck in my research folder. Thankyou ever more!

But, my special subject is Christian Petrovich Yoganson - a bit early, maybe, few

photos to be had, but I am always on the look out. Have you got any?

In that case I would get apoplexy from sheer happiness!

Joking apart, I have a damned strong heart... :)

Thanks, rg---a real treat.

Echoing Pamala's request----I would like to add mine---I would love to see a photo of Yelizaveta Yulievna Anderson-Ivantsova in her prime. She was a ballerina with the Bolshoi in 1917, and went on to become a very prominent teacher in New York for 35 years.

i'm not nearly organized enough to be able to search for this name, but as i recall all i have of any anderson is one maria, still i could be misrecalling what's what.

should i come across the dancer you name, i'll post what i find.

my cards tend to be concentrated in the petersburg end of russia's ballet, but moscow is not absent.

for now my moscow ballet books give the following facts about your dancer:

Anderson, Elizaveta Iulevna (1890 - 1973)

Bolshoi Theater dancer: 1906 - 1918

Repertory: Odetta/Odile, Fea Serenee, Florina, Klemance, Myrta, Povelitenitsa driad.

Thanks so much---especially the notes on her repertory. She married a Russian singer named Ivantsov who, believe, was the original Soldier in Alban Berg's opera "Lulu". He was later relegated to playing the piano for class---and I can still hear her words starting a class---"Music, Mr. Ivantsov."---and the well-worn tunes would follow.

a possible look at dancer anderson mentioned here.

only today i acquired the picture scanned and posted. i'm not very good at cyrillic script but i know enough, i think, to realize the letter indicating the first initial of this dancer named anderson is not cyrillic E, however this would seem to be a moscow a lineage anderson and her partner, L. A. Zhukov is also moscow school. this pic supposedly represents a moment from 'bayaderka' tho' i wonder if it's not 'korsar'. it's dated, perhaps accurately, 1912, when yelizaveta u. anderson was dancing in moscow.

still i offer it as a possible look at la anderson of moscow:

post-11-1089173629.jpg

How fortunate for me that I asked you at the 'right time'. I have been peering through my magnifying glass and from the set of the mouth, high cheekbones and strong features I am sure it is La Anderson. I doubt if there were many Andersons at the Moscow Theatre School at the time. Once again, we Ballet Alertniks are in your debt. :)

No doubt it must be that particular Anderson.

"Andersons" are not particularly thin on the ground in Sweden, in fact it is one of the most common surnames. But to encounter that in Russia in those days, highly improbable.

Besides, there was not such a large community of Swedes in Moscow as there was in St. Petersburg. I have seen the records and from memory I can only recall a

handful. :D

it seems the script i was reading before the spelling out of ANDERSON's name is not this dancer's initials but really some way of indicating something else, as i've noted the same two letters on other cards before the spelling out of other depicted dancers' names, so i guess it indicates something along the lines of 'from left' or whatever. all this to say that i'm now more confident, given the moscow lineage indicated here, that this is the yelizaveta anderson mentioned here.