This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marcia B. Siegel

Marcia B. Siegel's piece on "Swan Migrations" in the Boston Phoenix gave such clarity to issues I have been struggling with after viewing Pennsylvania's new SL. She seemed to ask the right questions and delved into historical perspective to gain a better grasp on changes within the art of ballet making. Her essay put much of this Swan Lake debate into an intelligent discussion about what was so attractive about Chris Wheeldon's new version of a revered classic. I was in awe of her observations and am so glad to read such an enlightening critque. Following my own personal viewing PABallet's SL, I did catch a performance of ABT's production two days after. It was clear to me while watching ABT's SL that my perceptions of Swan Lake had been changed forever upon seeing the new Wheeldon version. Siegel gave me a fuller understanding about the comparisons of old and new. I love tradition in ballet and was very confused as to why I was so wonderfully taken into the fantasy of Wheeldon's new version of Swan Lake. It made sense to me (the old lightbulb going on).

Thanks Marcia! :wink:

Anything that can be sharpened can be whetted..though we tend to mean this in a positive way. For example: hunger can whet your appetite as much as watching the Food Channel.

Siegel's Watching the Dance Go By is one of my favorites: it's on the shelf beside Pauline Kael's For Keeps.

If you enjoy Marcia Siegel's writing you should look for "The Shapes of Change," in which she analyses several works from the ballet and modern dance canon. If it's a dance you've seen, she helps clarify the stylistic and structural elements -- if it's something you haven't seen yet, it's a wonderful insight on the work.

You may be pleased to know that she received the "Senior Critic Award" at this year's Dance Critics Association conference -- she is very highly valued by her colleagues. (full disclosure: I used to serve of the DCA Board)