This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Four Temperaments

No, not that one. The book. Always behind, I finally got through Yona McDonaugh's novel this weekend -- good train/plane reading, if not a masterpiece, is my take on it. I'm glad that this book exists, though -- it takes ballet and art seriously, one major character is a young dancer, another is a member of the NYCB orchestra. I thought the author handled the problem of writing about a real company -- NYCB -- believably, although she's changed major characters (the artistic director, the balletmistress).

Did anyone else read this?

:shhh: I confess........

I saw it lying on a table at Costco and picked it up because of the cover and the title :)

I ended up taking it to Hawaii with me .....it made great beach reading.

No, not a classic, but the NYCB backdrop was surely believable and I enjoyed it for that reason.

I read it and I have to say that I was pretty disapointed. I'm not keen on "cheating" stories, so this is just a personal preference. I'm sure part of my disapointment is due to the fact that a friend (who reads a LOT) had read rave reviews of it (before distribution) and she was so excited about it coming out, that I asked my husband to buy it for me for my birthday, so I could read it and then share it with her (as she is so generous with sharing her books). We were both

left feeling the book was a bit shallow, although we did appreciate the little bits and pieces of real ballet that were in the book.

I couldn't finish it. When the story drifted away from the ballet world so did I. None of the characters struck me as compelling and I couldn't care less what happened to them. And although the author went to SAB, I didn't feel like there was much evocation of that world.