This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Clear Channel and the performing arts

In the article from the Deseret Times about a possible new theater for Ballet West (links section, 5/26) it mentions that Clear Channel Entertainment has "offered" to run a newly rennovated Utah Theater. Since this is the same company that has been involved in a couple of other recent problems with dance programming (the Boston Ballet Nutcracker being replaced by the Rockettes and the hubbub surrounding NYCB's summer residency in Saratoga) I'm curious to know where else in the country Clear Channel is involved in running or programming a theater venue. Are there places where they are working successfully, or are these contoversial situations the only examples of their management?

These controversial situations are indeed indicative of their management style.

All across the country including here in Columbus, Ohio, they are attempting to take over venues, kick out the unions and the local performing arts groups, and bring in huge splashtaculars that will do nothing to increase the level of local intelligence but will sink to the lowest common denominator.

Maybe now I should tell you how I really feel about ClearChannel... :devil:

Oh, that's right, this is a 'G' rated board...

Check out this website from the Columbia Journalism Review if you are interested to see just how much of the media market they own. Just make sure to be seated & have a bucket nearby in case your stomach can't take it! :wink:

Columbia Journalism Review

Clara :)

Dale,

So you work for a company that Clear Channel owns? Did you work there before CC took over?

What do you think of their tactics?

I'm open to discussions about it and every topic always, but from where I stand, they're not inspiring me to champion them.

I have a problem with apparent underhandedness and money-grubbing.

And by the way, I am speaking out personally, not in representation of any company. I just wanted to make that known because I am not shy and withdrawn-and those who work with me have learned to just back away slowly when I am on a rant!! :devil::wink:

Clara :)

I appreciate the reference, but now, of course, I want even more information!

I know in my community (Seattle), they purchased one of the biggest billboard/advertising companies, but that particular item is tucked away under Clear Channel Entertainment. I have a feeling that their ownership and/or management of performing arts venues is shown in a similar way. I will probably have to navigate the CC website (assuming they have one) or find some corporate paperwork to learn more, but in the meantime...

is there anyone here who lives in a community where CC owns or runs a theater or other performance venue (including music clubs/arenas)?

Well, I've answered at least part of my own question.

From their website, under the entertainment division, this is a partial list of their venues. In their own language:

"The following chart sets forth certain information with respect to the venues that CCE wholly or partially owns and/or operates, or exclusively programs."

I've edited the whole list, which you can find at <http://www.clearchannel.com/Entertainment/ent_venue_list.aspx>

and taken out almost everything that was listed as an amphitheater, since those seem to be devoted to large music events. I also edited out their internation holdings (though I was surprised to see the large number of legit theaters they are related to in Britain)

Even with these edits, it's a long list, and you may not want to deal with it. I'd like to ask, though, if you could please, scroll through quickly and see if your community is listed -- and if it is, could you tell me if those venues are used by local groups, or are they generally used for touring performances.

Unfortunately, the list isn't in alpha order, but appears to have something to do with the size of the community... sigh.

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island:

Beacon Theatre

Ford Center for the Performing Arts

Hammerstein Ballroom

Irving Plaza

Westbury Music Fair

Los Angeles-Riverside-Orange County:

Wiltern

Chicago-Gary-Kenosha:

Ford Center Theater for the Performing Arts Oriental Theater

Rosemont Theater

Shubert Theater

The Cadillac Palace Theater

Washington DC:

Warner Theater

Baltimore:

Mechanic Theater

San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose:

Fillmore Auditorium

Warfield Theatre

Philadelphia-Wilmington-Atlantic City:

Merriam

Theater of the Living Arts

Tower Theater

Boston-Worcester-Lawrence:

Charles Playhouse (main stage)

Colonial Theatre

Orpheum Theatre

Wilbur Theatre

Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint:

State Theater

Atlanta:

Tabernacle

St. Louis:

The American

The Pageant

Cincinnati:

Taft Theater

Kansas City:

Memorial Hall

Indianapolis:

Murat Theatre

Hartford:

CT Now.com (Oakdale)

Rochester:

Harro East Theater

West Palm Beach-Boca Raton:

Royal Poinciana Playhouse

Louisville:

Palace Theatre

Albany:

Saratoga Performing Arts Center

New Orleans:

Seanger Theater

The Warner Theater in Washington is used mostly by touring shows (musicals, etc.), but the Washington Ballet does its Nutcracker there (I guess the Rockettes don't have D.C. on their calendar yet). My guess is that commercial attractions get priority and nonprofit groups can take what's left.

Since this is the same company that has been involved in a couple of other recent problems with dance programming (the Boston Ballet Nutcracker being replaced by the Rockettes

With regard to the above, it was not Clear Channel that replaced the Nutcracker with the Rockettes, it was the concern of the Wang Center management about competition from The Lion King, appearing in a Clear Channel venue (the Opera House), that caused Wang Center to book the Rockettes. In fact, Boston Ballet's Nutcracker will be performing in the Clear Channel managed Colonial Theater in 2004, and in the Opera House in 2005-2007. I don't mention this to defend Clear Channel or anyone else, just to keep things as straight as they can be in such a tangled web....