This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Books and Videos on Ballet History

Are you interested in all of ballet history -- general topics? Or particular periods?

I started by reading anything that I could find written by Ivor Guest and Cyril W. Beaumont. Guest's books on 19th century, mostly French and English, ballet read like novels to me: "The Romantic Ballet in Paris," "The Romantic Ballet in London." He's recently added two volumes of pre-Romantic ballet: "Ballet of Enlightenment" and "Ballet Under Napoleon." I used to read Cyril W. Guest's "The Complete Book of Ballets" incessasntly. It's mostly plot summaries of 19th and early 20th century ballets, but there are historical stories and commentary on each work.

Walter Sorrell's "Dance in its Time," (out of print, I think) is a wonderful overview of Western theatrical dancing -- it's really a cultural history focused on dancing, not a traditional "first you had this choreographer, then that one."

Then I'd read biographies -- some, like Keith Money's "Pavlova" or Richard Buckle's "Nijinsky" and "Diaghilev" gave you the history, because their subjects were so important historically. For British ballet, David Vaughan's "Frederick Ashton and His Ballets" is not only about Ashton but the Royal. Taper's "Balanchine" biography touches on both the Diaghilev and New York City Ballets as well. Sometimes reading a biography of a favorite dancer is a good way to get into history.

You might want to go through this forum -- not just the first page, but click on the little numbers to take you through past threads. I think you'll find a lot of recommendations. There are some general threads, and then there are threads on specific books.

And I'm sure others will have recommendations too! Happy reading!!!

Guest Dionysus

I joined this awesome board because a certain young lady sparked my interest in the history of ballet. Up till recently, I had not the slightest concern for ballet in particular, or dance in general. My only contact with the world of dance previous to my most recent spark of interest, was a brief friendship with a girl who was devoted to a European form of dance called Eurythmy. Anyhow, as a person with complete ignorance of the history of ballet, I have found a book that has been most helpful as a simple introduction to this fascinating subject. It is entitled ON WINGS OF JOY: THE STORY OF BALLET FROM THE 16th CENTURY TO TODAY, by Trudy Garfunkel, 1994. Just thought I would let you know. :rolleyes:

Welcome, Dionysus! That is a good introduction -- it is simple, but the information is solid, and there are some things in it (the five positions, a few mime gestures, what's a pointe shoe?) that other history books don't have.

This isn't straight history, but another wonderful introduction to ballet, that I always give to newbies :), is Robert Greskovic's "Ballet 101."