This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Our local PBS channel showed "That's Entertainment 2" last night, which I hadn't watched in years, and as soon as I decided, again, that Astaire was The Master, the best of the 1930s movie dancers, there was a clip of Bojangles (Bill Robinson) just as elegant, though different. Later, we had James Cagney. Not forgetting The Nicholas Brothers.....

I almost put up a poll, and then was afraid I'd leave someone out, so I'll leave it open. Who's your favorite Dancing Man, and why? (I'd like to limit this to the 1930s; anyone who wants to wax passionate about the later technicolor musicals might start another thread.)

Well, no one fascinates and entrances me as does Astaire. No matter how familiar a routine, I almost always find something new in nuance, technique, phrasing, or any of the many other aspects that make a dance what it is. Plus, there's his unmatched, effortless elegance.

Isn't it amazing how precisely he can evoke the style of Bill Robinson, or in another film Vernon Castle, so that while he is still unmistakeably Astaire, he is also specifically Robinson or Castle?

A genius.