This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Maybe I missed it somewhere along the line, I don't seem to find any topic regarding Romeo and Juliet in this forum. :wallbash:

So far I have seen the ones with Nureyev & Fonteyn filmed in 1966, and with Ferri & Eagling filmed in 1984. I am also aware that there's one with Corella and Ferri filmed in 2000, which I haven't seen yet. I'm wondering if there are other Romeo & Juliet video out there with different ballet company or dancers...

Ferri makes a wonderful Juliet without question. I couldn't help feeling that there was a lack of passion or any sparks going between Ferri's Juliet and Eagling's Romeo, maybe it's just me, I just feel something was missing... :shrug:

Have anyone seen the video with Corella and Ferri and any other version???

off the top of my head, regarding the prokofiev versions:

the ferri/corella perf. is on dvd, in a rendering of macmillan's staging.

the l. lavrovsky is on 2 x: one the corinth film mentioned here w/ ulanova & zhdanov and once w/ bessmertnova and m.lavrovsky.

yuri grigorovich's has also been released w/ bessmertnova.

angelin preljocacj's version is released too, in a post modernist staging.

michael smuin's for san francisco ballet was telecast in the states but not released commercially.

Makarova and McKenzie. In the actual performance, which was televised live, McKenzie came out in the final act wearing his sweats!!! In the VCR for public consumption they re-did the ending with McKenzie properly attired.

Also a production by National Ballet Theatre, produced by Christopher Gable and choreographed by Massimo Moricone.

Giannina

Frederick Wiseman's awesome ABT documentary BALLET (1993) ends with the balcony and bedroom pas de deux danced with supremely controlled abandon by Ferri & Bocca. It is not available on vhs, but may turn up on PBS again. Keep those vcr's at the ready.

My regret is that the Royal's R&J with Darcey Bussell was not recorded.

Watermill

Makarova and McKenzie.  In the actual performance, which was televised live, McKenzie came out in the final act wearing his sweats!!!  In the VCR for public consumption they re-did the ending with McKenzie properly attired.

Also a production by National Ballet Theatre, produced by Christopher Gable and choreographed by Massimo Moricone.

Giannina

I have the tape with the sweats! :blushing: I remember taping it during the "Great Performances" program, May 8, 1988. Makarova was, as near as dammit, perfect that night, and McKenzie was completely right on! Everything cooked that night at the Met. Johann Renvall was also perfect as Mercutio, and Victor Barbee was a ferocious Tybalt. A very young Julie Kent was in the corps de ballet. Makarova also did a very nice interview on dancing Juliet, (at home?) during intermissions.

Q: Was that her last performance of Juliet at the Met? She danced Juliet again at Covent Garden later that year, then in January 1989 she went back to the Kirov, danced two pdd from "Onegin" and retired the next day.

Other tapes I've seen are the LaScala tape with Fracci, Nureyev, Fonteyn, Semenyaka & Vasyuchenko Act II Grigorovich's version, (owned, 1991 Prokofiev Commemorative 100th Birthday Gala at the Bolshoi), Bessmertnova & Liepa (Lavrovsky's), Bessmertnova & Muhkhamedov, Ulanova & Sergueyev exerpts (owned), Marguerite Porter and Wayne Eagling (seen live with Royal Ballet), Lesley Collier & David Wall (gala tape), Maximova's first entrance as Juliet in "The Glory of the Bolshoi" (exerpts). BTW Marguerite Porter looked sooo much like Margot it

was eerie.

I actually just bought the Ferri/Corella version from La Scala on DVD (only $28 at HMV downtown Toronto!!). I'm not finished watching it yet, but so far (Act I and II) it is excellent:) There are a few parts where the corps or soloists are a little weak, but it is generally a solid performance and the leads are both superb. I'm not sure how much on stage (or on screen, I suppose) chemistry the two have, but still, this is a very worthwhile purchase!

The POB version choregraphied by Noureev (with Manuel Legris and Monique Loudières) is magnificent. There's also a documentary about it entitled "Dancer's dream-The great ballets of Rudolf Noureev". Recently, I saw that a VAI video had been released: it's a version starring Galina Ulanova. Did someone see it? Is it worth (I mean, the picture quality and so on...)?

Sophia, have you seen the documentary "Dancer's Dream"? It's very interesting and you can see Manuel Legris as Romeo and Elizabeth Maurin as Juliet (the best Juliet I saw on stage! She will give her POB last performance in this part next season). But Legris/Loudières still remain my favorite couple!

There is also a full-lenght version of Grigorovitch's Romeo and Juliet, with Bessmertnova as Juliet (I don't remember who was playing Romeo), which was broadcast on French channel Mezzo a few months ago.

Makarova and McKenzie.  In the actual performance, which was televised live, McKenzie came out in the final act wearing his sweats!!!  In the VCR for public consumption they re-did the ending with McKenzie properly attired.

I must be missing something here - why would McKenzie come out for the last act in sweats?