This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tapes of Gelsey Kirkland at the Library

i thought it would be a good thing to spin it off from the Least Favorite Dancers thread.

here is another that the library has: (this is also available). haven't seen this one but i would assume it was with sound.

Note Filmed on January 24, 1972 at City Center, New York by Emile Ardolino and Gardner Compton. Producer: Donald Saddler.

Contents CONTENTS. - Valentine. Choreography: Gerald Arpino. Music: Jacob Druckman. Danced by Rebecca Wright and Christian Holder. - Don Quixote pas de deux. Choreography: after Marius Petipa. Music: Ludwig Minkus. Danced by Gelsey Kirkland and Helgi Tomasson. - The mistake waltz from The concert. Choreography: Jerome Robbins. Music: Frédéric Chopin. Dancers include Suzanne Erlon, Gloriann Hicks, Delia Peters, Christine Redpath, Giselle Roberge, and Bettijane Sills. - Tragic celebration. Choreography: John Butler. Music: Kazuo Fukushima. Costume: Willa Kim. Danced by Lawrence Rhodes.

then of course there is this, which is marked as available!

Giselle

Descript 1 videocassette (28 min.) : sd., col. NTSC ; 1/2 in. (VHS)

Note Recorded in performance, probably in 1975.

Credits Film edited by Jill Kroesen ; scenery, Oliver Smith ; costumes, Peter Hall.

Performer Danced by Gelsey Kirkland (Giselle) with Mikhail Baryshnikov (Albrecht), Martine van Hamel (Myrta) and members of American Ballet Theatre.

Pianist: Gladys Celeste.

Summary Excerpts from two performances, edited for continuity, with an added piano soundtrack. The excerpts, from both acts, focus mainly on Gelsey Kirkland in the title role.

American Ballet Theatre - Dancing for Love

Videotape transfer of a kinescope. Telecast on November 29, 1978, by WDVM-TV9, Washington, D.C. Artistic director and executive producer: Teddy Westreich. Produced, directed and written by Carol Wonsavage. Narration: Jim Patterson.

SUMMARY: A look behind the scenes during the mounting of Mikhail Baryshnikov's full-length ballet Don Quixote, designed to give the viewer an idea of the preparation of a new ballet and an understanding of what it means to be a ballet dancer: the discipline and work in class, rehearsal, performance and on tour. Seen in performance and rehearsal are Mikhail Baryshnikov, Gelsey Kirkland, William Carter, John Prinz, Jonas Kage, Cynthia Gregory, and dancers of the American Ballet Theatre. There are brief interviews with Martin Feinstein, Executive Director of the Kennedy Center, where the ballet premiered; Cynthia Gregory; Lucia Chase; Hilda Morales; William Carter; John Meehan; Nanette Glushak; ballet master Jürgen Schneider; and the conductor John Lanchbery.

Brief excerpts of Don Quixote are included. Choreography: Mikhail Baryshnikov, after Petipa and Gorsky. Music: Leon Minkus. Sets and costumes: Santo Loquasto.

:devil:

aw shucks!

but seriously; you can go to nypl.org and look at the contents of the dance collection catalog any time. also there is a digital collection (photographs, some motion picture images) that only covers up to 1923 (copyright expired things i suppose) that is very interesting, where for instance you can see pavlova in the dumb girl of portici, etc.

Yes, many thanks for the info on these tapes! Last summer I went to the Lincoln Center library and asked about viewing the Dance Collection archives. They told me they were only available to students and journalists, not to the general public. I let it go at that because my free time really doesn't correlate well with the library's hours and there were still a lot of old videos from the circulating collection that I hadn't seen. I guess I will have to make an issue of it soon, if it means being able to catch a glimse of Kirkland's Giselle again after all these years, and the Corsaire pas de deux with Nureyev. Not to mention all the other treasures it seems the collection holds!

i haven't been since last year, but as far as i know anyone who goes can request anything that is not marked restricted in some manner, permission only, closed, etc. maybe what you had asked for was marked that way. when you go to the catalog, look at each listing to see if it has those restrictions. they did a great job upgrading the video facilities, too, it's a fantastic experience. i didn't even list a film that was restricted, there are quite a few of those too.

and there's

Don Quixote

Recorded in performance at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York, in May 1978, by Lucia R. Wayne.

Credits Scenery and costumes, Santo Loquasto ; lighting, Jennifer Tipton.

Performer Danced by American Ballet Theatre: Gelsey Kirkland (Kitri), Mikhail Baryshnikov (Basil), others.

Summary Excerpts from all three acts, focusing on Gelsey Kirkland and Mikhail Baryshnikov. In the Act III grand pas de deux, the male variation is recorded twice.

and (i'm on a roll) (also silent)

The river. Giggling rapids [and] Vortex (ca. 5 min.) / recorded at City Center, New York, N.Y., on February 2, 1975 ; choreography, Alvin Ailey ; costumes, Frank Thompson ; lighting, Nicholas Cernovitch ; danced by American Ballet Theatre: Gelsey Kirkland and Terry Orr (Giggling rapids) ; Gelsey Kirkland (Vortex).

Les sylphides [excerpts] (ca. 14 min., b&w) / recorded at City Center, New York, N.Y., on February 2, 1975 ; choreography, Michel Fokine ; danced by American Ballet Theatre: Gelsey Kirkland, Ivan Nagy, Karena Brock, Marianna Tcherkassky, and others.

Concerto [excerpts] (ca. 10 min.) / recorded at City Center, New York, N.Y., on January 23 and 24, 1975 ; choreography, Kenneth MacMillan ; costumes after original designs by Jürgen Rose ; lighting, Jean Rosenthal ; danced by American Ballet Theatre: Gelsey Kirkland, Ivan Nagy, others.

Don Quixote pas de deux [excerpts] (ca. 8 min.) / recorded at City Center, New York, N.Y., on January 29, 1975 ; choreography after Marius Petipa ; danced by American Ballet Theatre: Gelsey Kirkland and Ivan Nagy. Lacks part of adagio, male variation, and man's solo choreography in coda.

Jardin aux lilas [excerpts] (ca. 14 min.) / recorded at the Uris Theater, New York, N.Y., on December 31, 1975 (evening) and January 17, 1976 (matinee) ; choreography, Antony Tudor ; scenery and lighting, Tom Lingwood ; costumes, Raymond Sovey after sketches by Hugh Stevenson ; danced by American Ballet Theatre: Gelsey Kirkland (Caroline, the bride-to-be), John Prinz (her lover), Gayle Young (the man she must marry), Eleanor d'Antuono (an episode in his past, Dec. 31 performance) and Bonnie Mathis (an episode in his past, Jan. 17 performance), and others

The nutcracker. Act II [excerpts] (ca. 13 min.) / recorded at New York State Theater, New York, N.Y., probably in 1974 ; choreography, George Balanchine ; scenery, Rouben Ter-Arutunian ; costumes, Karinska ; danced by New York City Ballet: Gelsey Kirkland (Sugarplum Fairy), Helgi Tomasson (her cavalier), others. Excerpts include the Sugarplum Fairy's entrance and dance with the angels ; Sugarplum Fairy variation ; adagio and coda of the grand pas de deux, the latter lacking choreography for the male dancer ; finale and departure of Marie and the Nutcracker Prince.

The nutcracker. Act II [excerpts] (ca. 3 min.) / recorded at New York State Theater, New York, N.Y., probably in 1974 ; credits as above ; danced by New York City Ballet: Gelsey Kirkland (Sugarplum Fairy), others. Excerpts include the Sugarplum Fairy's entrance and dance with the angels ; Sugarplum Fairy variation.

The nutcracker. Act II [excerpts] (ca. 4 min.) / same footage as above, recorded at 14 frames per second.