This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Onegin

If you can afford it I'd see all of them! It's such a beautiful ballet, and has so many major parts. Of course you run the risk of OD-ing on Onegin, but what a wonderful way to go! There's an article in the magazine Covent Garden sends to "Friends" about the Rojo/Cope partnership. Apparently they are truly in tune with each other, and since Cope is 41 years old the duration of the partnership is in question. For that reason I might prefer the Rojo/Cope evening. I've seen Kobborg as Onegin, and while I found his acting just a tad over the top his dancing was magnificent. Plus I love Cojocaru, and I don't think she's too young for the role. Theirs is another partnership to enjoy.

Giannina

I didn't know the "Friends of Covent Garden" were making a magazine; it's such a good idea! (it doesn't exist in AROP, the French equivalent to the "Friends").

Do you know if these articles are available online? (It would be so interesting to read them and especially the one about Rojo/Cope partnership)

I haven't seen the magazine on their website :) . As I will probably go often to London next year, I wonder if I would or not become a member of the "Friends". What are the advantages? And is their a special membership for students or young people (I haven't seen it on their website)?

And as for Onegin I will probably see the two casts (17th and 18th June). Thanks!

Juliette....you can find out about Friends of Covent Garden on the Covent Garden web site under MEMBERSHIP. I find Friends helpful in keeping up to date on programming and with getting tickets. I don't know about student memberships.

I'm so glad you're going to see the 2 casts. Let us know what you think of the performance.

Giannina

The Friends Overtures membership offer £25 of vouchers for £30 membership (was £25 last year) for people under 26 so for the access to rehearsals and masterclasses not to mention the early booking (essential for grabbing the popular seats) it's really worth it. I forget how much regular membership costs but it's something like £70 for the same benefits.

I'd go for both Cope-Rojo and Kobborg-Cojocaru. Rojo's Tatiana is deeply moving and she with Cope make an incredibly passionate pair. I'm really excited about his debut and I agree you have to catch them while you can. I found the interview terribly sad in that they found each other so late!

I wondered if Cojocaru would be too young for the ballet too, but she makes a remarkable transformation into a woman in act 3 - very mature and poised and in spite of her youth, unlike a young girl at all IMO. And it's hard to explain but her pdds with Kobborg have this reckless, abandoned quality that I've never seen in others, and it makes ballets like Onegin a thrill to watch.

Thank you both! And thank you Sylvia for the explanations about membership for young people; I think I'm gonna to be a member too.

I'm very eager to see this ballet (I've never seen in on stage, only in video) and especially with these two couples as both of you praise them. Thanks!