This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Would a BAD REVIEW drive you away?

Alexandra

Would a bad review cause you to not see a company or new ballet?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would a bad review cause you to not see a company or new ballet?

• Yes, always.
    • Possibly, depending on the review.
    • Not usually.
    • No, never.
    • I never read reviews.
    • Other.

This question was suggested by something samsara posted on another thread, about negative comments having the possible effect of influencing people to not attend a performance. I wondered what people thought, and since often we'll get people to vote who won't post :wacko: I thought I'd make it a poll. Interpeter "review" as a newspaper report, or an internet post (since the original comment was aimed at posts).

One bad review alone probably wouldn't. As with the other poll regarding raves, for me it depends very much on who is doing the reviewing. If the reviews are uniformly bad, however, then that usually does indicate a dyed-in-the-wool turkey.

Although I wish I could have chosen the more independent "other" - I chose "possibly" because as much as I hate to admit it :FIREdevil:, I have decided against going to a certain performance due to more than one "bad" review. For example, the reviews I read about Eifman's ballet at City Center last winter - I forget the name now - but after reading the reviews I just couldn't bring myself to spend the time or the money. :) But who knows - maybe I would have enjoyed it... :rolleyes:

Over time, as I get to know a dance (or music, film or art) critic's opinions, I find that I can use his or her opinions to develop a pretty accurate gauge of whether or not I'll like the work -- and sometimes that's because I find I consistently disagree with the critic! Where I live right now, I've found that I can reliably "use" the local dance critic because our opinions tend to be polar opposites, so if she hates it, I know I'll probably enjoy it (eg - she totally didn't get the Baryshnikov solo show, I totally did; she thinks the big local dance company's corps is on a par with a touring Russian company's that came through town once, and, um, it isn't, IMO). The only time she's "failed" me was when she agreed that the local company's attempt at Balanchine choreography was not as successful as the visiting company with whom it shared the stage. But that's OK -- I know I'll still disagree with her most of the time! :FIREdevil:

EEEk!! is right. But it's really only the end that's a harsh review -- the rest is description. If a "dance company" is going to put a frog in a blender and have someone drink it, well......

Marc, Viviane, this is one of "your" companies: Ultima Vez.

Thank you, Alexandra, we're not particular. :grinning: Frankly, I don't think this is a good example. Which ballet-lover in his right state of mind would ever go to see this crap? C'mon you know what you're getting. Rave or bad review, you just don't bother - It's a different planet, period.

Just discovered this one :(

Alexandra, don't worry ! Thanks to Rosas, Les Ballets C.de la B., Ultima Vez and unfortunately so many others !... Belgian balletomanes has developed an extra sense to avoid these 'events'.

To answer the question : a good or a bad review never stops me from going to see a performance.

A few notes:

I enjoy reading Ismene Brown, although often more for her style than content. The Telegraph gives her and other critics enough space to actually review a performance.

And I learned a new word! "Eurocrash" which has not yet penetrated to the frozen wilderness of the upper midwest.

Since ballet is generally absent from the culture calendar in Motown, it would take a very bad review to, in itself, keep my away from a performance. Additionally, companies like Ultima Vez would not make it to Detroit, where the Les Ballet de Monte Carlo is considered edgy.

Our city unfortunately is a one newspaper city with only one ballet critic who has little to none ballet background-her background is in opera and classical music. Occaisionally, she will get something right, and of course, she is entitled to her opinions, but most of the time, her lack of ballet training is painfully obvious. :) Be that as it may, I would still go to see a ballet despite a rave or pan review- I prefer to make up my own mind. :yes:

Clara

While I will absolutely agree with you, clara 76, that my employer's dance critic has a distressing lack of training in and knowledge of ballet, I think the record shows that she has been exceptionally kind to your employer's company! :) Although that does seem to be changing this season. :(

That is so true Chauffer, she has been kind to us, and I was referring more to her reviews of other companies' ballets that she has sometimes missed on, imo. I have no complaints at all with how she handles our company and as I said before, she is certainly entitled to her own opinion. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify that for you! :)

Clara

C'mon you know what you're getting. Rave or bad review, you just don't bother - It's a different planet, period.

Actually No: that's the point I'm trying to make. Sadlers Wells sends me advance publicity about all forthcoming events and the brochure about "Blush" made no mention of frogs in blenders, chainsaws etc. True, there was reference to some erotic content and there was a picture of an apparently naked couple photographed from the waist up in a rather chaste embrace. All appearing far removed from the horrors detailed in Ismene Brown's review.