This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Original Cast of Emeralds Pas de Trois

perky

I was watching my tape of Emeralds the other day and started to wonder which dancer danced which variation in the Emeralds pas de trois.

According the my Repertory in Review Sara Leland and Suki Shorer were the dancers. Who danced the first variation and who danced the second one, which has the dancer entering with a dreamy romantic run?

Not an earth shattering question, just curious! This pas de trois is my most favorite in all of ballet. :thumbsup: Thanks!

well the library has a film from 1969 that gives the cast like this:

Performed by Violette Verdy, Conrad Ludlow, Suki Schorer, Francisco Moncion, Sara Leland, John Prinz, Carol Sumner and artists of the New York City Ballet.

so if they were given in order of appearance it would be suki schorer first i guess, then sara leland?

I'm looking at p. 247 of Nancy Reynolds' wonderful Repertory in Review. The premiere cast for Emeralds is listed this way:

Violette Verdy and Conrad Ludlow; Mimi Paul and Francisco Moncion; Sara Leland, Suki Schorer, John Prinz

I don't see anything in the text or photos that would identify solos or variations beyond that, alas.

i've have a note in my CHOREOG BY GEO BALANCHINE: A CATALOG OF WORKS that has the first female solo in the Emeralds PdT as being danced by Schorer and the second by Leland. if mem. serves this came from Schorer herself when asked about the sequence; tho' it's possible my note was made inaccurately once i got to make it in my book. the credits for the film in library indicate that Schorer dances Mimi Paul's leading role and that Sumner dances Schorer's in PdT.

SS is in the theater w/ some frequency, maybe she can asked to confirm this.