This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Korbes Alert

I was at the theatre today and noticed a cast change in the MIDSUMMERs for next Thursday & Friday (15th & 16th)...Carla Korbes is listed as Helena, replacing Abergel.

As Korbes has many admirers here, myself included, I thought I'd let everyone know.

Korbes' Helena was extraordinary last night (the 15th) -- To begin with, extremely and positively interpretive and dramatic. Beautiful use of her eyes and reaction to the others on stage, a born dramatic dancer. Then, it is also easy to forget what tremendous physical facility Korbes has -- deep, musical, very physical and athletic, very fast and explosive interior turns, deep and integral use of her arms (she is gifted in the upper body), big jump and great flexibility, not only as extension in her legs but pliable in her back. Breadth and speed -- her run up stage and to the stage left corner at the end of her last variation breathtakingly fast and spacious. And a beautiful girl, as well, in a company not always known for promoting the classically beautiful types.

At one moment, with Korbes and Reichlen on stage next to each other, one had a sort of reality check, was this really the State Theater? I love the casting of Bouder and Fairchild this week and if they will just give Carla and Teresa Reichlen the chance to dance we will have a very rich future here.

On Korbes, Helena seemed as demanding and as rewarding a role as Titania -- perhaps more demanding and revealing of a dancer's physicality. Both Helena and Hermia have a great deal of time alone on stage in complex turns which have to be at the same time expressive. And then a second act classical pas de deux.

I'd see this again or go tonight by all means.

I echo Michael's comments on Korbes...she was really impressive. It was good to see Reichlin & Fairchild both dancing very well, and let's not forget Jennifer Tinsley (Hermia) who is not used often enough and always makes a fine effect when she does dance.

I will write more about the performance under Week 2, in case anyone's interested.