This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

susan Jaffe

jimmattimore

Ah, that's nice, kfw, and I hadn't known anything about this. But it reminded me of the show I used to see on Channel 31 (?) here, one of the PBS channels I believe, but not 13, that Jaffe hosted. It was always a wonderful show, and Jaffe was a warm and gracious host. There was one show in which Farrell was especially discussed, and Jaffe's admiration knew no bounds, she went on and on about her influence. But this makes it clearer why (I hadn't originally quite understood why Jaffe was talking about her so much, since she'd been with ABT), since they had a truly intimate professional collaboration in 'Mozartiana'. I've forgotten who she was discussing Farrell with, but all the shows were good, and not always about ballet either. She'd always conclude it with 'This week, go out and see some DANCE!' Just an adorable creature.

But was 'Mozartiana' Balanchine's 'last masterpiece'. A lot of us think Robert Schumann's Davidsbundlertanze was a masterpiece, too, and that's a few years later, isn't it?

Wow, that's great to imagine, Patrick. Thank you.

But was 'Mozartiana' Balanchine's 'last masterpiece'. A lot of us think Robert Schumann's Davidsbundlertanze was a masterpiece, too, and that's a few years later, isn't it?

According to the Balanchine Trust's website, Davidsbundlertanze premiered in June of '80, Mozartiana in June of '81. I'd hate to have to choose between them.