This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Joanna Berman

LMCtech

Well, Mark Morris called her a genius in an interview. Joanna has something I would call subtlety. She is not technically brilliant, but she can actually act. Her Aurora is different than her Juliet which is different from her "Black Cake". She is incredibly musical. She really internalizes it. That is probably why Mark Morris likes her so much.

dirac posted the following link in the "links" section: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../24/DD94974.DTL

It is about Joanna Berman's retirement at the end of the 2002 season. I've seen her on stage only twice, during some Paris tours of the San Francisco Ballet in 1994 and 2001. I especially liked her in Tomasson's "Chaconne", she was extremely musical and graceful. Are there some people here who want to share some memories of her dancing?

Thanks for posting that, Estelle. Joanna Berman is a curiously controversial dancer -- I say "curiously," because she doesn't impress me as extreme in any way, or seeking controversy. Maybe it would be clearer to say that opinions about her seem to be rather polarized. I know that some regular SFBers admire her very much, critics less so. (I must confess I find her extremely dull.) It's always interesting when a dancer strikes some people as absolutely wonderful and others as "so what's the fuss about?" Opinions on Ms. Berman, please.