This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancers From the Eighties

Nikiya

What ever happened to Starr Danias??

"The Little Ballet" (as mentioned above), is included on the Kulture video "Baryshnikov Dances Sinatra and more..." It's still around and not hard to find. You also get to see Elaine Kudo in "Sinatra Suite" and "Push Comes to Shove"!

Danias was a member of the Joffrey Ballet either at the time of Turning Point or shortly before it was made. I remember her performances with great pleasure, she was one of the more classical dancers in the company. She was also a very lovely looking woman.

My friend and colleague Robert Greskovic read this thread and kindly emailed me with some information about Elaine Kudo and Rebecca Wright:

Elaine kudo is still in princeton, she stayed after Septime Webre left and is now

working w/ Graham Lustig. She too worked w/ the abt summer prog. in nyc, and staged the mov. of 'push' the students put on, w/ tharp's blessing (it was the 2nd mov. [of the haydn] the section for 2 sets of corps women, i.e. the blues and the golds.

Rebecca Wright, who did indeed run the abt sum. prog. in nyc 2/3 yrs running. She now, has just be appointed to replace Kathryn Posin as administrative head of the joffrey-ballet-school/new school academic/degree program nyc's new school for social research in greenwich village.

Thanks, Robert.

Rebecca Wright was ending her dance career at Joffrey just as I became a member of Joffrey II. In her last season with the company she only danced DEUCE COUPE II and JEUX DE CARTES. She also performed CINDERELLA PAS DE DEUX at The Delecourt Theatre with Kevin McKenzie. She next joined ABT where some people liked her portrayal Clara even better then Gelsey's.

Starr Danias had the look of the perfect ballerina. Many roles were created for her in Arpino ballets. Her technique was quite strong despite her frail looking body. However, she never danced Titania in THE DREAM, nor any of the ballerina roles in Mr. Joffrey's PAS DES DEESSES, which makes me think she was not one of the more classical dancers in the company.

Starr did dance LE SPECTRE DE LA ROSE with Nureyev. Later, on tour, I got to dance SPECTRE with her. She was a wonderful partner and a person I will always thank for the wise advice she had to give in dance and life.

Starr acted and danced on THE LOVE BOAT and in THE TURNING POINT. I heard that her TURNING POINT role had been written with Cynthia Gregory in mind. Starr was ABT by the time she filmed THE TURNING POINT and had danced Blue Bird Pas in SLEEPING BEAUTY.

Starr returned to Joffrey and then left again to pursue an acting career on broadway, going into Makarova's role in certain performances of ON YOUR TOES.

As far as I know, Starr is married, lives in Santa Monica and teaches ballet.

[This message has been edited by glebb (edited September 07, 2000).]

Sorry to interrupt, Dancer 26, but we try to keep this a discussion board and not a chat room. (Nothing wrong with chat--conversations between two people about their backgrounds, or what they like, etc.--but a bit confusing when there are as many people on a board as there are here.)

This thread has gotten a bit long and meandering. I'm going to close it. Any more questions or answers about Dancers in the Eighties, please start a new thread.

Thanks!

Alexandra