This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2003 Winter Gala and 1st week Nut. casting

Program and Casting Subject to Change

*First time in role

+Guest Artist

# SAB Student

OPENING NIGHT GALA

Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 7:00pm

Serenade

NICHOLS, BORREE, KOWROSKI, NEAL, FAYETTE

Intermission

Bugaku

KISTLER, SOTO

Intermission

Symphony in C

1st Mov.: SOMOGYI, TEWSLEY

2nd Mov.: WHELAN, ASKEGARD

3rd Mov.: TAYLOR, MILLEPIED

4th Mov.: van KIPNIS, EVANS

George Balanchine's The Nutcracker™

November 28 - November 30, 2003

FRIDAY EVENING, NOVEMBER 28, 8:00 PM [Quinn]

Sugarplum: KOWROSKI

Cavalier: ASKEGARD

Dewdrop: SOMOGYI

Marzipan: RIGGINS

Hot Chocolate: RUTHERFORD, HIGGINS

Coffee: HANSON

Tea: ULBRICHT

Candy Cane: GOLD

Mother Ginger: J. STAFFORD

Flower, S.R.: van KIPNIS

Flower, S.L.: TINSLEY

Doll (Girl): DRONOVA

Doll (Boy): LABEAN

Soldier: CARMENA

Mouse King: SETH

Drosselmeier: La FOSSE

Hostess: ABERGEL

Host: *HANNA

SATURDAY MATINEE, NOVEMBER 29, 2:00 PM [Fiorato]

Sugarplum: WEESE

Cavalier: MARTINS

Dewdrop: *SYLVE

Marzipan: BOUDER

Hot Chocolate: GOLBIN, HANNA

Coffee: ABERGEL

Tea: CARMENA

Candy Cane: SUOZZI

Mother Ginger: RAMASAR

Flower, S.R.: BAR

Flower, S.L.: KROHN

Doll (Girl): FAIRCHILD

Doll (Boy): *FLYNN

Soldier: SEVERNINI

Mouse King: ORZA

Drosselmeier: FAYETTE

Hostess: BESKOW

Host: FOWLER

SATURDAY EVENING, NOVEMBER 29, 8:00 PM [Moredock]

Sugarplum: BORREE

Cavalier: BOAL

Dewdrop: ANSANELLI

Marzipan: EDGE

Hot Chocolate: BESKOW, FOWLER

Coffee: McBREARTY

Tea: *DE LUZ

Candy Cane: HENDRICKSON

Mother Ginger: *DAN-WARING

Flower, S.R.: TAYLOR

Flower, S.L.: A. STAFFORD

Doll (Girl): *HYLTIN

Doll (Boy): *PAZCOGUIN

Soldier: *SUOZZI

Mouse King: *RAMASAR

Drosselmeier: KRAMAREVSKY

Hostess: BAR

Host: *la COUR

SUNDAY MATINEE, NOVEMBER 30, 1:00 PM [Fiorato]

Sugarplum: KOWROSKI

Cavalier: ASKEGARD

Dewdrop: SOMOGYI

Marzipan: RIGGINS

Hot Chocolate: RUTHERFORD, HIGGINS

Coffee: HANSON

Tea: ULBRICHT

Candy Cane: GOLD

Mother Ginger: J. STAFFORD

Flower, S.R.: van KIPNIS

Flower, S.L.: TINSLEY

Doll (Girl): DRONOVA

Doll (Boy): LABEAN

Soldier: CARMENA

Mouse King: SETH

Drosselmeier: La FOSSE

Hostess: ABERGEL

Host: HANNA

SUNDAY EVENING, NOVEMBER 30, 5:00 PM [Quinn]

Sugarplum: WEESE

Cavalier: MARTINS

Dewdrop: SYLVE

Marzipan: BOUDER

Hot Chocolate: GOLBIN, HANNA

Coffee: ABERGEL

Tea: CARMENA

Candy Cane: SUOZZI

Mother Ginger: RAMASAR

Flower, S.R.: TAYLOR

Flower, S.L.: A. STAFFORD

Doll (Girl): FAIRCHILD

Doll (Boy): FLYNN

Soldier: SEVERINI

Mouse King: ORZA

Drosselmeier: FAYETTE

Hostess: BESKOW

Host: FOWLER

Of all the SYMPHONY IN C adagios I've seen, including the night of Farrell's return to the Company, the most memorable was danced by Wendy & Askegard a couple years ago. It is good to see them paired up again, for the Opening.

We are so accustomed to seeing Askegard & Kowroski, but he's good with other ballerinas as well. I remember Margaret Tracey's farewell in SCOTCH SYMPHONY; I do not think she & Askegard had previously danced together very often. Margaret, it seemed to me, was not good at disguising her feelings if there was a patnering glitch...but that night, Askegard took care of everything and I thought, why were they never cast together before?

If I remember Tracy's retirement, she was not scheduled to dance Scotch, but Ringer pulled out, so her last show got extended. I thought it was the best performance she had ever given.

Whelan, for me, is very beautiful in the second movement, but not always ideal. She conqueres this with her musicality. I don't mind Askegard partnering smaller women, but not too much smaller. It's not good to see him crouching to get his hands around a ballerina's waist. I just read a review of a gale in Europe in which Askegard danced with Ansanelli and commented on the size difference.

Juliet, I think it is the lesser of three evils. She could have been the lead in Serenade or 2nd movement Symphony in C. In Bugaku, she's manipulated mostly, hopefully it will be cover up her current weakness.

I had been hopeful of seeing Ringer, Somogyi, Sofane in Serenade; Weese, Kowroski, Ansanelli, Van Kipnis in Sym. in C; and Taylor in Bugaku.

I suppose it would have been nice if they had scheduled something other than BUGAKU...something with more principal roles so we could see "everyone" on the opening of the 100th birthday season. It is logical that the three senior ballerinas (Darci, Kyra & Wendy) would get the plums. I was hoping to finally get Wendy in BUGAKU, which I know she is keen to dance and has prepared. It's good that Darci isn't trying SYMPH IN C again; SERENADE is Kyra's signature piece (along with GATHERING)...who knows if this will be her final season? I was surprised (but glad) she came back after the second baby...and maybe she was, too!! She has such lyricism, and is one of our very few remaining links to Balanchine.

Anyone remember the night Albert replaced Jock in BUGAKU, I think the only time he danced it?

Oberon, I saw that performance. Not only was it great to see Evans get a decent part (and do it well), but it also seemed to light a fire under Kistler, who gave an inspired performance. Better than she had with Soto. It had nothing to do with Soto, who was pretty good in the part, but it seemed to shake things up a little bit and there appeared to be an element of surprise in the performance.

Juliet, I'm shocked.  Having Darci and Jock in Bugaku actually makes me want to go to opening night, but I haven't decided yet.  The whole opening night program and casting looks terrific to me!

Congratulations Suzanne Farrell!

Hope springs eternal and all that but the last time Darci danced Bugaku, a couple of years ago, it was, well, unfortunate. It is true that this spring and summer she seems to have pulled herself into better shape, so perhaps this time her Bugaku won't be such a debacle.

Yes, Jorge Donn was certainly hot...but I didn't see him in BUGAKU. I was not a big Suzanne Farrell fan, though I saw her many times...including the night of her return. I started going to NYCB while she was with Bejart and I was really into Karin, Kay Mazzo, Patty McBride, Sara L & Violette Verdy. To be honest when Farrell came back, I sort of thought of her as...an intruder!! Needless to say, Farrell did dance beautifully and I often was impressed but she never really moved me.

Albert Evans just oozes charisma and I wish there were more opportunities for him at NYCB. I met him one day, totally by chance, and he was the nicest guy. Sexy people are not always that pleasant. I especially enjoyed him in CIRCLE OF FIFTHS and have a craving to see him in OPUS 19. I'd love to see Albert & Wendy in BUGAKU...

However, I can certainly put up with Darci & Jock...if they don't hold my interest I can always watch Pauline Golbin in the corps...I probably will anyway...talk about sexy!

Edited by oberon

"Not that it would be listed in the press release, but aren't the top level SAB students performing something for the Gala? "

Yes, they are in Serenade.

Thank you, zerbinetta, for the reminder about starting time. Now I have to change dinner reservations....or forego it completely and eat later, which sounds like a better idea, the more i think on it. It won't be a long program....

Juliet: I think the change of start time to 7:00 PM may have been prompted by the length of the program (followed by the dinner) which would seem to be somewhat longer than their usual 60-75 minute opening performance.

See you at Picholine at 8:45. :-) .. unless we should count in some extra time for the dreaded speeches, as this performance will be kicking off the Centennial.

Pardon me for butting in, Zerbinetta and Juliet, but an 8:45 dinner reservation seems overly optimistic, given the nature of the occasion. There undoubtedly will be speeches, and the evening is highly unlikely to start on the dot of 7. I hope there will also be some applause during the course of it, and aren't there two intermissions?

Mind if I butt as well?

(Well, maybe not as well, but just butt...also)

But I digress, having butted into my own butting...but then...butt, then!

Perhaps they'll dine during an intermission. I went to an opera in Germany where a three course meal was served in at each of three lengthy intermissions. The snoring through the last act nearly drowned out the singers. One of the advantages of Ballet: snoring cannot overcome the dance. Though dance can sometimes cause snoring. And especially those speeches. Hey, what're the odds Movado presents a watch to Martins? As they say: "Timing is everything."

Blessings upon you, Great Morpheus!

No. 8:45 will be too early, I agree......

I think I'm going for very-special-after ballet something......shhhhhh.

I think dinner during intermissions sounds grand, for opera!

No, I don't think a Movado ad is in the works quite yet....give them a couple of months!