This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Some 10 years ago I saw in London a french company performing "La fille malGardee".It was apparently the original Daubervall version of the ballet.And I was charmed by it. The whole ballet was a relevation for me.

Does anyone know anything about it?Does a video of it exist?

i think prod. you refer to here is the one by ivo cramer with ballet du rhin. here are some indications about the prod. from the n.y.public lib. for the perf. arts. alas there is not to the best of my knowledge a video of it on the commercial market.

i think 'created after jean dauberval' is more like it; reviving the original to any careful degree would seem just about impossible.

it seems cramer's work was first staged for nantes opera ballet but it was toured by ballet du rhin, it was shown in the US, on the east coast at kennedy center's 'france danse' series in 1993

Percival, John, 1927-

The well guarded daughter.

Source :Dance and dancers. London. June 1992, p. 10-13. ill.

Notes :Discusses Ivo Cramér's La fille mal gardée, created after Jean Dauberval's version.

Kane, Angela.

Title :Ballet du Rhin.

Source :The dancing times. London. Aug. 1992, p. 1047-1051. ill.

Notes :Compares and contrasts Frederic Ashton's and Ivo Cramér's La fille mal gardée.

Fille mal gardée

Chor: Ivo Cramér; mus: parts of the original score (which were various opera and folk tunes arranged by a Bordeaux orchestra member); scen & cos: Dominique Delouche. First perf: Nantes, Opera, Feb 23, 1989; Nantes Opera Ballet.

it seems cramer's work was first staged for nantes opera ballet but it was toured by ballet du rhin, it was shown in the US, on the east coast at kennedy center's 'france danse' series in 1993

Yes indeed, both the Ballet de Nantes (now defunct, alas) and the Ballet du Rhin performed it, and actually with the same director, Jean-Paul Gravier, who first directed the Ballet de Nantes and then the Ballet du Rhin.

I really regret not having seen that production- it was performed in Lyon around 1993 or 1994, but I could only see one of their programs then and saw the other one (Tudor's "Lilac Garden", Limon's "The Moor's Pavane", and Jooss' "The Green Table" and "Pavane for a dead princess"). So the only part of that production that I saw was a pas de deux in an open rehearsal that they did in Grenoble a few years later- enough to make me regret not having seen it... all the more as it has disappeared from the Ballet du Rhin's repertory since Jean-Paul Gravier's departure.