This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kelly was also a good comedian, in a kind of snarky, understated way. Singin' In the Rain gets much of its appeal from Kelly's famous "Dignity, always dignity" monologue. Marilyn Monroe also had this quality -- she could be funny and seem like she wasnt trying to be funny.

My favourite Gene Kelly film is Cover Girl (also my favourite Rita Hayworth film).

It gets pretty sentimental at times but I love it anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of "An American in Paris", only thing I really liked was that line that Oscar Levant delivered:

"I'm a concert pianist. That's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."

Pretty much sums it up.

Singing in the Rain.

The "Moses Supposes" number.

That's my all-time favorite! The rhythms and personality make me smile every time. If I'm watching "Singing" on video, sometimes I'll rewind it after the Moses number to watch it again (and again!).

Singing in the Rain.

"Moses Supposes" is my favorite number from "Singin' in the Rain," too. It deliriously silly and brilliant at the same time.

About Kelly and Garland, MGM tried to pair them more often as a team since the chemistry and rapport are clearly there, but circumstances (usually, Garland's) got in the way. Most famously, "Easter Parade" was supposed to be a major vehicle for them, but for once, it was Kelly who couldn't do it (I think he broke an ankle). Astaire came out of his first retirement to do it and you can see that the part of the meanie is not really a fit for Astaire's onscreen persona. I still adore the movie just for seeing Astaire and Garland together onscreen.

Garland and Kelly are the great musical team that never quite happened. Kelly tended to overpower his leading ladies, but he often defers to Garland (because she was the bigger star and out of respect for her great gifts) in a way that makes him especially appealing - he performs with her. (The exception is "The Pirate" where Garland was in poor health and and Kelly's performance is Gene Unchained.)

Kelly did break an ankle at home, thus losing the role and bringing Astaire out of retirement, which can't have made Kelly happy in any respect. smile.png As noted earlier, Kelly often played roles with an element of "heel" in them - he wasn't Pal Joey for nothing. Also true in his straight roles ("Christmas Holiday," etc.)

I agree, sidwich, that it's nice to see Astaire and Garland together. I have every respect for Charles Walters but I don't think much of "Easter Parade," though. Fortunately when it comes on I know how to time it so I can tune in for "A Couple of Swells."

Singing in the Rain.

I like all of Singin' in the Rain, but yes, Moses Supposes is one of the best moments in there.

I also liked Hello, Dolly!, which he directed.

Fortunately when it comes on I know how to time it so I can tune in for "A Couple of Swells."

My mother has seen that scene so many times she knows all the choreography and where it goes in the song

Kelly's widow, Patricia Ward Kelly, takes her show on the road.

His dream was to become a shortstop for his hometown Pittsburgh Pirates. Instead he became a classically trained ballet dancer, and studied modern dance with Martha Graham and Doris Humphrey. A trained acrobat and gymnast, he could even walk a tightrope

She's been promising a book for years. I wonder if it'll ever see the light of day.