This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Instructional Ballet Videos

Guest Crystette325

I don't know if this is something I would want to do but I have been thinking about it.

Are there any instructional videos out therethat can help me to rebuild my strength and technique?

I was in ballet for about 14 years. I went to a pre-professional school. So I believe I have enough knowledge in me to be able to practice on my own.

I would go to a studio but, I am so busy with college and internships I do not have the time nor the money to attend a good school around me. Plus, the good schools are 45 minutes to an hour from where I live.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Crystal-Cai

Have you looked at the videos available from Finis Jhung? They are considerably more expensive than anything else I have seen ($60 per tape) but I heard from other dancers that the "instruction" was in a league of its own. So, I purchased one video recently and I have to agree with all of the recommendations I received.

Here is the link:

Finis Jhung Website

Best wishes in balancing your time and finances!

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of instructional videos/ do-it-yourself training in general. I did not purchase the tape with "self-training" in mind (although his tapes could serve that purpose better than others I have seen). I made the purchase in an attempt to experience another instructors approach to barre work and from what I had been told the imagery Mr. Jhung uses could be useful for the improvement of my placement/carriage within my current class. Not that I am unhappy with my current teacher...it's just that I only have one style of teaching available to me and I am interested in and feel the need to discover more variety.

Guest Crystette325

Thank you for the replies.

I will check the NYCB ite to see what they have but I don't know about the other tapes because they are way too expensive for me. I'm the typical poor college student living off cheese and crackers.

HAHA

It's not that severe but you can get the picture.

Crystal-Cai

Crystette325,

I understand the financial battle! I would never have purchased the tape if I had not received a generous Father's Day gift from my in-laws and been told to spend it on something fun that I really wanted. Maybe you could ask for it as a gift...birthday or other occasion on the horizon? :cool: