This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker tix in June -- big bucks required

Every year the "priority offer" of Nutcracker tickets arrives earlier, it seems. I got two in today's mail. As has been the case in recent years, "Subscriber and Guild Priority Dates" are divided into "Peak" and "Off-Peak Dates." Orchestra and First Ring tickets for peak dates cost $93; off-peak $82. Think that's bad? How about a "Sweet Seat VIP Package?" I quote: "Enjoy the very best seats in the house and more with this special holiday package! Each admission includes a premium center Orchestra seat, a keepsake photo with a character from George Balanchine's The Nutcracker, complimentary souvenir book and 10% off at our Gift Shop." That will set you back $175 per admisssion. But the less affluent have not been forgotten. On an off-peak date, $20 will get you into rows L-O of the Fourth Ring, the four topmost rows in the house. Merry Christmas.

In recent years Nutcracker tickets have been more expensive than those for the regular rep. But I hadn't looked lately, so was surprised at the $93 price. What is definitely new is the "Sweet Seat VIP package." Also, there seem to be fewer "non-peak" dates -- only 5, as opposed to 19 "peak' dates. (The "priority" offer does not include all performances.)

But Standing Room for Nutz last year was $10, which is cheaper than during the rep season. That's nice, because few people would buy standing room except for us Nutz who want to see Ms. X in her new role as the stage-left Lead Flower.;)

OK, Mel, now you're dating yourself! ;) I think that in the past two years that I paid about $85. I know it's steep... but orchestra tickets at ABT's Met season are higher!:eek: :P

Now, on to Leigh's new thread about the rising costs of ticket prices!