balletstar811

Svetlana Lunkina

Lunkina is classified as a "leading soloist" at the Bolshoi, not yet a Principal.

To my knowledge, there are not any generally available videos of her as yet.

I'm afraid you're right, Marga. Nothing commercially available. There was however a video of Lunkina's debut in "Giselle" with Tsiskaridze and Alexandrova, but I gather it was only sold at the Bolshoi Theatre.

You'd know better than I about the Giselle video's availability. :)

Let me take a moment, since you have addressed me personally, Marc, to praise you on your beautiful photos of Lunkina.

She is such a lovely young woman, whether in costume or "civilian" clothes and you have captured her youthful beauty so perfectly in your images of her. She is a very sweet person, still vulnerable (she gets quite upset when her performances don't go well, according to her standards) and kind to all.

I hope she never develops the unattractive "edge" that a few older Bolshoi ballerinas have which makes them behave as though they are above all others.

Lunkina's innate personality lends itself so well to roles like Spectre and La Sylphide, but her dramatic flair emerges when she dances Kitri, Giselle, and Odile.

I am eager to see her develop during the next decade!

Thank you! I have found more at the ballerina gallery site. Ah, she is gorgeous! I wish I was able to see her dance... too bad she is all the way in Russia! Does she have what you would consider good feet?

Oh, Lunkina does travel as a guest artist, so you may see her before too long!

Too bad you missed her last year when she danced at Lincoln Center's State Theater with Dmitri Gudanov in the Stars of the 21st Century Ballet Gala in February. They also danced together in Toronto (April 28th last year) at the same gala (some different dancers) here.

This year's gala will be May 4th at the Toronto Centre for the Arts, but Dmitri is dancing with another partner this time (Nina Kaptzova, I believe).

As for my opinion of Lunkina's feet: they are well arched when she dances, beautifully shaped, long, articulate, soft and expressive.

marc - lovely photos indeed, especially the portraits at the first-named page. :)

Is Svetlana Lunkina dancing again? I saw her in the Bolshoi's 2000 tour to South Africa and have since been following her progress via reviews and photos on the net. The last info I can find is that she went on maternity leave in May 2003. Does anyone know anything more recent?

I'm glad her absence isn't due to anything more serious than that, but goodness! what long maternity leave she gets! Is this usual?

If for some reason she had to stop dancing very early in her pregnancy, it doesn't seem unusually long to me. Don't forget all those prenatal months when the tutu just won't fit!. :) And if she's nursing . . .

Press release from NBOC

June 8, 2014 Karen Kain, Artistic Director of The National Ballet of Canada, today announced that the 2014/15 roster will include three new Principal Dancers. McGee Maddox has been promoted to Principal Dancer and Svetlana Lunkina and Evan McKie will be joining the company as Principal Dancers.

This is quite an achievement for the company, I like Svetlana Lunkina a lot, and wish her every success in both her new country and company. Evan Mackie as well I am sure he will be a great asset to them.

I think it's been clear for some time that Lunkina would not be returning to the Bolshoi. Makhar Vaziev doesn't seem interested in many of the dancers on the company's roster, let alone the "formers." However, both Canada and Russia allow for dual citizenship. Traveling the world on a Canadian passport is certainly easier, but Lunkina can still use her Russian passport to travel to countries Canadians need visas to visit, such as Brazil, Cuba, Vietnam and, of course, Russia.

Edited by volcanohunter

I will see her in Nijinsky this Sunday.

She's been one of my favourites for years, and this might be the only opportunity I get to see her perform so I'm super excited.