This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Noble Fool, Chicago's Comedy Theatre is wrapping up it's run of "Vikings! A Musical in Two Axe", this Sunday. Music is by Bonnie Shadrake, book by Jack Bronis, and lyrics by Jack Bronis and Bonnie Shadrake. Jimmy Bins, the Artistic Director of The Noble Fool is lucky to have this writing team.

Author's Notes:

"The idea for "Vikings!" A Musical in Two Axe" came to me several years ago, when we were anxiously teetering on the edge of a new millenium. Exactly one thousand years before, the infamous invaders from the north were laying seige to their neighbors. It seemed like an intriguing idea to set a musical in the period halfway between the advent of Christianity and our own age. Exactly how much has humanity changed in a millenium? "Vikings! A Musical in Two Axe" is our attempt to answer that question".

It was interesting to see this play about one society invading another people's society. Though I knew the idea for this muscial was born before our current war, the message expressed was not so comical in light of current world events. The lush melodies composed by Bonnie Shadrake and of course the abundance of talented performers: Gary Alexander, Geoff Binns-Calvey, Sean Paul Bryans, Kevin Christopher Fox, Vanessa Greenway, Sarah Hayes, Mick Houlahan, Chuck Karvelas, Patricia Musker, Anne-Sheridan Smith, Darren Stephens, and Jean Winkler impressed me tremendously.

I have seen two other productions by The Noble Fool - "Flannigans Wake" which employs audience participation that the cast of superb imrov artists handles with great ease and with hysterical results.

I've also seen "Roasting Chestnuts", their Christmas comedy/musical. Patrica Musker, the star, is hands down amazing. She is a fine actress, singer and improv comedienne.

I go to NYC several times a year to see the best the world has to offer in theatre, but I am very glad to be in the second city with it's high caliber of theatre.

I hope to be able to report on The Goodman's new Sondheim muscial, this summer.

For anyone interested The Noble Fool has a website: www.noblefool.com.