This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Updated Kirov Dancers Roster....Assylmuratova Gone! (Yikes! Did we mis

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 12:59 AM

While perusing the just-published 2003 Mariinsky Ballet Festival souvenir programme, I compared the latest Kirov Dancers Roster with that of the 2002 Festival (which mirrors that found on the Mariinsky internet site). Wow - lots of recent changes, such as:

Principals - Altynai Assylmuratova is gone among women, as is Sergei Vikharev (the Petipa-reconstructions stager) among the men. No promotions of female soloists to principal level; however, both Igor Kolb and Andrian Fadeyev have been made Principals. Congratulations to both!!

First Soloists - Veronika Part is back as a First Soloist!! Promoted to First Soloist, from Second Soloist, are Daria Pavlenko and Natalia Sologub. Andrei Batalov is still on the roster. Leonid Sarafanov, hired as 2nd Soloist one-half year ago, is now listed as First Soloist.

Second Soloists - Promoted to 2nd soloist, from Coryphee level, are Ekaterina Osmolkina and Xenia Ostreikovskaya among women, and Vasily Scherbakov among men.

Coryphee - promoted from Corps de Ballet are a number of dancers, including Viktoria Teryoshkina and Tatyana Tkachenko among the women, Igor Popov among men...there are others

Principal Character Dancers - I notice that Yelena Sherstnyova is gone, after many, many years are THE grand-dame of character/national dances. I wonder if either she or Assylmuratova received farewell evenings to honor the many years of distinguished service to the theater? I will surely miss both of them. :)

#2 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for that Jeannie. Two great ladies left the building.
As far as I know Altynai Asylmuratova never wanted a farewell gala or anything special. She preferred to leave in silence.

#3 katharine kanter

katharine kanter

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:16 AM

Did not Miss Assylmuratova say that as head of the Vaganova School, she did not feel the need for a big "send-off" ? The real "send off", will, one hopes, be the reforms she is introducing to the School.

Here at Paris, Mr. Kolb has danced this past December, in La Bayadère. Interesting dancer - good mime, very clean floor patterns compared to most of his colleagues, reserved but very intense acting. Mr. Kolb, one request however: now that you are Principal, might we ask you to refrain from all further Ruzimatovisms, and to decline, in future, to pick up the leg ? It does not fit at all to the otherwise dignified elegance of your work.

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:18 AM

And besides, if they really need her for something, she's right down Theater Street, at the Vaganova Choreographic Institute as Director, isn't she, Marc? More power to her, she danced AND directed the school for several years.

#5 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:05 AM

Quite, Mel. Yet, neighboring institutions are sometimes the farthest away of all.

#6 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:40 AM

Sadly, for all sorts of reasons, and in all sorts of places, that's a very true statement. But if that's a problem at Petersburg, I would be willing to bet good money that Asylmuratova can overcome it!:)

#7 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:55 AM

Perhaps by any standard but Russian or Manhatten, the Vaganova School and Mariinsky Theatre could be considered quite a distance, but not if you are Russian or a New Yorker! It is not around the corner, but it is a fifteen minute trolley ride, if you are lucky to get on or maybe a 40 minute pleasant walk , which is what is most common. Teachers/students are constantly doing the walk. There used to be quite a few stores and kiosks to get some shopping done on the way to or fro. Maybe not anymore though!:)

Thanks Jeannie for the update! Is I. Kuznetsov listed anywhere anymore?

#8 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 05:56 AM

It's interesting that the Kirov has so many different levels on their roster. When the company performs in Washington, the dancers are listed at three levels only.

#9 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:00 AM

Is Veronika Part still guesting with ABT, or is that over already?

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,275 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 06:46 AM

Part did Lady Capulet yesterday afternoon at the Kennedy Center.

#11 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 12:27 AM

vrsfanatic - You are right about that 15-minute trolley ride. Alas, the erotic nightclub, Rossi's Place, is still across the street from the entrance to the academy.

Ilya Kuznetsov is definitely on the roster, as (I believe) First Soloist. He was scheduled to dance Hans in GISELLE last night but, instead, was allowed to be a guest at a festival in Yugoslavia, instead. He will be back for one of the mixed-bill galas here, later this week.

#12 NO7

NO7

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 02:07 AM

Dear Katharine,

I really like what you called "Ruzimatovisms"!:mad:
Looking at Kolb's repertoires in the past two years, I guess Kirov may want him to be Ruzimatov's successor! And perhaps Fadeyev will be Zelensky's!?!
(Actually, Kolb has danced Bayadere in October not December in Paris.)

And yes, Jeannie and vrsfanatic, Kuznetsov is still a first soloist. No promotion, unfortunately:(

#13 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 03:21 AM

Who the heck is Hans in Giselle?

#14 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 03:36 AM

Hans is Hilarion.

#15 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:06 AM

Thanks Jeannie and NO7. Funny, Kuznetsov was always Albrecht in school. He did that role in 6th, 7th, and 8th year, a well as others of course. Shows how things can change.

I look forward to your very exciting reviews.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):