#16 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 01:37 PM

mom2 -

There's also a difference between who does better in the studio and what happens on the stage. Mr. Scott might have said something different if he had seen that specific performance. There's at least a chance that Hirano's performance was an anomaly for him - but that's all we get to see.

Antonijevic did not look uncomfortable in the costume - he's in the Nureyev/Malakhov "exotic" mold so he was able to make sense of that. If only he wasn't so into himself. . .

#17 creativejuice

creativejuice

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 09:01 PM

:) My ballet Oscar goes to Tanya Howard’s cheeky performance as the ballerina siren in Kenneth MacMillan’s Elite Syncopations! At the end of her variation for the Calliope Rag Miss Howard held up a sign with a number that sums up my opinion of her dancing: 10! It was good-bye tutu, hello tuchis! And what a fanny! Tanya Howard stole the show with the most captivating, come-hither, flirty strutting I’ve seen in a about a dozen viewings of MacMillan’s comic masterpiece! I cannot give enough exclamations marks to properly convey how much I loved Miss Howard’s cheeky moves! Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tanya Howard!

Quoting Michael Goldbarth from a review of Miss Howard’s performance in Don Quixote:

“…The next time the National rolls out this classic keep your eyes peeled for a bronzed goddess by the name of Tanya Howard in the role of Mercedes or possibly even Kitri.  She showed promise galore as one of the gypsies.  Even when her variation ended, I could not unpeel my eyes from this beauty as she caught her breath at the side of the stage.  Tanya Howard possesses a hedonistic beauty worthy of the paintbrush of Hieronymus Bosch.  She’s much too much the silent screen vamp to be painted by Edgar Degas.  Erotic beauty such as hers belongs in Bosch’s Garden of Earthly Delights!  By the way, Tanya Howard can also dance her tutu off!  Keep both eyes on this beauty in the corps de ballet.  She’s a future Carmen.  In case I haven’t made myself 100% clear, I’m totally gaga over her!!!  Woof!  Woof!!  Who let the dogs out?”

I know, I know. I should really stop holding it in and tell the readers of Ballet Alert how I really feel. I will try to be more descriptive in the future.

As for the rest of the evening…Judgement of Paris was likewise good fun but belongs on a smaller stage like the Premiere Dance Theatre. Le Spectre De La Rose also seemed out of place on a large stage. Napoli was very colorful and as with the above 3 ballets, did its part in helping me and many others recover from the February Blahs. And last of all, I would like to pass on kudos to a surprise appearance by Rex Harrington in Elite Syncopations. He was an absolute laugh riot in that ten-gallon hat! Elite Syncopations is so funny it could even crack a smile from Alan Greenspan!

Overall Review of Mixed Program: Performance of Dancers: 19/20. Music: 17/20. Choreography: 16/20. Ballet Magic: 16/20. Sets and Costumes: 16/20. Rating: 84/100.

#18 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 09:11 PM

Michael - two thumbs up in a row! I am impressed!

Which night did you go? I saw Howard on Sat. Eve, and enjoyed her, but I was even more impressed with Martine Lamy in the rag the next day. I've never gotten the chance to see Lamy look better, and it made the performances for me.

#19 creativejuice

creativejuice

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 09:29 PM

I caught Miss Howard's strut on Feb 20.

#20 mom2

mom2

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 06:52 AM

I'm thinking I need to scrimp those pennies even more so that I can afford to attend more than one show in a run....it does make a difference!

I was equally pleased to see Rex in the huge hat, by the way.

The smoking of cigarettes on stage was an interesting touch...I could actually smell them from where I was sitting! I suppose it's quite true to the period....

#21 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 12:00 PM

I'd be interested in seeing Gala Performance. Unfortunately, I never made it to the CBC museum. I think when Celia Franca started the company, some of the first ballets she aquired were by Tudor. It would be nice if they would revive some of them, I'm sure "The Leaves are Fading" would be popular with audiences and the dancers. Torontonians lean towards classical pieces, so character ballets like Judegement don't seem to sell as well. But Leaves is very classical, and I've been dying to see the entire thing. (Only seen excerpts from ABT and Kirov).

#22 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 12:19 PM

Two dancer of POB are in National Ballet (Lise-Marie Jourdain and Jean-Sébastien Colau).
I see that Lise-Marie Jourdain will dance Spectre de la rose. Are they cast in other ballets and has someone see them and what do you think about them ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):