This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

corps dancers we love as if they were stars

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 ruteyo

ruteyo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

I saw her at the Erik Bruhn Competition in Toronto last year, as well as on RB stage and the Lausanne competition, and in some "insider" videos.

Yuhui is an up and coming dancer, but her arch, especially on her left foot and her entire left leg line need some work. I don't think her footwork is all that great. But then I'm comparing her footwork of Balanchine trained dancers so that may be unfair. Although I must say that Yoshida had GREAT footwork.

Other than that, I think she has pretty good musicality and stage presence. I like her facial expressions on stage -- even when she's doing corps work, she's always positive, you never see a side of her that's rolling her eyes. Trust me, I've seen lots of corps dancers do this! I won't name names =)

I'm sure the RB administration is eyeing her to replace Yoshida and make her the next Asian star of RB.

#62 BSS

BSS

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

Erica Pereira is the dancer i am watching!!!!!!

#63 BSS

BSS

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:50 AM

There are so many corps girls at NYCB right now that draw the eye. Kathryn Morgan barley even fits in this category, she is a principal in waiting. Muller, King and Piskin for sure but I also find myself watching Ashley Laracy and Glenn Keenan all the time. Both were lovely in Emeralds yesterday afternoon and I think it was Keenan who did double duty also poping up in Diamonds. And Erica Pereira, my goodness she's extraordinary.

Over at ABT I always notice the lovely & elegant Zhong-Jing Fang, the sweet yet forthright presence of Anne Milewski and the lightness and delicacy of Renata Pavam, and this season I've also started to notice Jessica Saund. Among the men I've been had my eye on Grant Delong and Alexander Hammoudi for a few seasons now and of course Simone Messmer and Blaine Hoven are ripe for promotion.

And during the Kirov City Center season I was captivated by Svetlana Ivanova, Elena Androsova and Maria Shirinkina. Wish they were local so I could watch their progression!

I agree with you 100% Erica Pereira is extraordinary!!!!! Saw here do Juliet in Peter Martins Romeo & Juliet when she was an a apprentice, she was wonderful then and even more enjoyable now to watch. I am sure we will see some amazing performances in the near future from this truely gifted dancer.

#64 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

What about the dancers who've remained as the pillars of the corps, sometimes featured in demi-soloist roles and occasionally in principal roles, but generally dance senior corps roles?

#65 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

Courtney Elizabeth. She was the goddess of the SFB new w works festival -- seemed like she was in every ballet, sometimes (in Paul Taylor's) the star, but always dong her part wonderfully.

#66 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:40 AM

Well we can take Yuhui Choe off the list - she's just skipped a rank with a promotion to First Soloist at the Royal Ballet! I'm so pleased!!

#67 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:29 AM

Skipped a rank! :)

WoW! Congratulations to her!

#68 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:12 PM

Yes, it's like management have suddenly sat up and taken notice! As a first soloist I imagine she'll be pushed to the front and I hope that principal roles are soon beckoning.

#69 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Courtney Elizabeth. She was the goddess of the SFB new w works festival -- seemed like she was in every ballet, sometimes (in Paul Taylor's) the star, but always dong her part wonderfully.

Completely agree about Courtney Elizabeth. And I'd add Courtney Wright; as I said in another thread, Wright always looks like she's having more fun than anyone else on stage. Too bad she has left the company this summer, I hope for better opportunities to display her abilities.

#70 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

Yes, it's like management have suddenly sat up and taken notice! As a first soloist I imagine she'll be pushed to the front and I hope that principal roles are soon beckoning.

Well that was quick - Choe's scheduled for her debut as Nikiya in mid November!

#71 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

I just saw that casting today, and am heartbroken to have to miss it... with her lovely arms, can't you just imagine her playing the veena at the beginning? SIGH.

#72 olddude

olddude

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

back in 1996 ( i believe ) PNB came to nyc and performed at city center... i cant tell you how the principals danced.. i was too busy watching Gavin Larsen (now dancing in Alberta Ballet)

I just joined this forum, and ran across the post above. I was an admirer of Gavin Larson's dancing at PNB for many years - wonderful to find another fan! I always had the same experience - it was hard to focus on the main character when such clean and expressive dance was happening in the corps!

There always seems to be someone in the corps that stands out. Lately it's been Rebecca Johnston but I'll start another thread to get her name in the subject line.

#73 olddude

olddude

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:25 AM

Rebecca Johnston - the last several years at PNB she's been the one to watch in the corps. I've been surprised and distressed for years that she never got promoted, and I'm very sad she's now retired. Such an elegant dancer, projecting so much joy in the mere act of dancing - and the best, most consistent, expressive port de bras I've seen in anyone, anywhere. She's a really hard worker too - it seemed she was in every dance, every night, every cast! :lightbulb:

#74 dbplanpro

dbplanpro

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:47 AM

Here in Cincinnati, we're very happy to have Kara Zimmerman from PNB! My favorite corps dancer here is Dawn Kelly, who was promoted to soloist this year. Dawn is an excellent actress and embodies the roles she dances. We like her equally well in classical roles and more modern pieces. She is tiny, but has huge presence on the stage. We can't wait to see what she'll be doing this year.

#75 Pas de Deux

Pas de Deux

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

I agree that Kara is an exquisite dancer, and had the pleasure of joining her in a gala performance.
Kara Zimmerman is exquisite.
Charlene Cohen, now with SFB. I loved dancing with her. Can say that she was wonderful to catch in Dances at a Gathering :clapping: .
Kenny Easter, with ABT. Great performances all around, one of my favorite Johnny's in Paul Taylors Company B.
Alan Peiffer, with NYCB. He is rightly mentioned as one of the most handsome male dancers.
Some dancers are worth their weight in gold. I believe these four are.
Replying to corps dancers we love as if they were stars, these guys grind it out day in and day out.
They are stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):