This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

corps dancers we love as if they were stars

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#31 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 08:24 PM

No, but it's a matter of degree.

I have never seen -- at ABT or in NYCB under Martins -- the spreading of the wealth over as wide a swath as was the case at City in the 70s. That's all.

Oh, and it wasn't always good.

#32 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 03:34 AM

I think, though, that the Americacentrism of the thread so far is a function of who's posted to it. We have a lot of input from NYC people and from San Francisco, but only Estelle has chimed in from France, and we haven't heard anything from Britain or elsewhere. Just knowing human nature, there must be corps favorites in many companies that we just don't hear about.

#33 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:18 AM

Mel, don't forget that there also was a post from su-lian from Paris! :)

By the way, I also think that Balanchine's works are not the only ones which enable the audience to see the corps de ballet dancers. In some Petipa works for example, there are quite a lor of pas de quatre, pas de six, etc. which can be an opportunity to see some corps de ballet dancers...

#34 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 04:36 AM

Oops! You're right, Estelle, my apologies to su-lian!

But how about it, other venues? There have to be artists in the corps who attract the public's affections. Maybe they're headed for the upper reaches, or maybe they've just been in the corps forever, but for some reason, the public finds them, and gives them love. Any stories?:)

#35 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:15 PM

Cleopatra Williams is a favorite here.:)

#36 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 03:58 PM

My favourite one are at POB Fanny Fiat, Muriel Zusperreguy, Isabelle Ciaravola, Christophe Duquenne, Hervé Courtain who was soloist with Boston Ballet last season, Stéphane Bullion just passed sujet. I love as Estelle Jean-Marie Didiere who is a wonderful actor and when he dance, was a really good dancer. I love also Julien Meyzindi, Bruno Bouché, Sébastien Bertaud, Dorothée Gilbert, Juliette Gernez.

When SFB went to Paris two years ago, I appreciate in corps Michael Eaton, Chidorie Nzerem, a black dancer who was now in Harlem dance theater and whom I forget unfortunately the name :confused: . It was more difficult to recognize girl and to put a name on their face but I remember of Dalene Bremer in Othello as well as ? Lewitzke as Bianca always in Otello, :o !

#37 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Françoise

When SFB went to Paris two years ago, I appreciate in corps Michael Eaton, Chidorie Nzerem, a black dancer who was now in Harlem dance theater and whom I forget unfortunately the name :confused: .  It was more difficult to recognize girl and to put a name on their face but I remember of Dalene Bremer in Othello as well as  ? Lewitzke as Bianca always in Otello, :o !

That would be Ikolo Griffin. I agree about him, and Eaton.

Just curious, why a :mad: for Lewitzke? Did you have problems with her?

#38 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:29 PM

Actually I had mentioned only corps de ballet dancers who are unlikely to be promoted, given their ages... But among the younger ones, there are quite a lot of dancers that I like a lot, and especially Fanny Fiat and Dorothée Gilbert.

#39 Terry

Terry

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:07 PM

SFB: Jaime Castilla

POB: Myriam-Ould Braham (asbolutely lovely in the classics), Dorothee Gilbert, and I'm also looking forward to Mathilde Froustey...

Hamburg Ballet: Helene Bouchet, Yukichi Hattori

NYCB: Carla Korbes

Royal Ballet: I am looking forward to seeing Yu-Hui Choe

#40 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 02:04 AM

I post a :o because I change my sentence and forget to delete it. I write before I don't recognize women face and I write what someone else write and I think oh yes I recognize two girls who was good, sorry for this :mad:

#41 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 12:29 PM

no need to apologize, I was just curious...Lewitzke certainly is a recognizable Bianca, though, isn't she...that hair!

#42 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 07:36 PM

Lewitzke is a thrilling dancer..... just standing there, she's a knockout....

rumor has it that Mark MOrris walked into the studio one day, saw Lewitzke wearing a black long-sleeved leotard and black wrap-around skirt (tights and pointe shoes of course) for class, and decided that that's how the women should be dressed for his new ballet, A Garden...... I don't know that it's true, but I'd like to believe it; I love the ballet, HATE those costumes, and only such a story could explain why they're wearing such school-wear.... Lewitzke would look stage-worthy in anything.

She had a great role in the second-cast of Liebeslieder Walzer, alternating with Maffre (staged by Karin von Aroldingen ); it was a noble performance....

#43 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 12:43 AM

Ah, yes...Lewitzke in Liebeslider...yummy. What a cast: Berman, Allemann, Diana, too.

I like Korbes and Bouder too, even if they ARE about to get promoted [one hopes...]. ;)

#44 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 07:30 AM

A corps dancer who I loved to watch (she has left, unfortunately) was Rosalie O'Connor of ABT. She was such a wonderful actress, and in small featured roles like Bathilde or the Ayah in Bayadere could bring a character to life. Her nurse was so evil and so slinking and so obsequious, without any scenery chewing. I still get shivers remembering the Rajah (Graffin) stalking over to her in the Bethrothal scene and her glee in giving poor Nikiya the basket. She was wonderful in Lilac Garden as the girl in white who cried, as well. I remember sitting with someone who had seen years of ballet and tended to be NOT impressed with today's dancers, sitting bolt upright and saying "Who was that?" when O'Connor gave Caroline her cloak. She was able to convey such a sense of sympathy and understanding in a small gesture.

#45 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

Watching Diamonds this afternoon, I again found myself enjoying Gwyneth Muller, this time as one of the demisoloists. She reminded me, for the first time, of Renee Estopinal (although they look nothing alike) for the simplicity and directness of her dancing, her warmth and her recently acquired sophisticated mien. I've come to treasure her.

This thread has been dormant for a long time. We've had lots of new corps dancers come go -- sometimes to soloist level or beyond. :dunno: Anybody else want to add?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):