Barre Height

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:57 AM

My husband is going to put up a barre for me to practice at home. What is the proper height for a wall-mounted barre, please?

#2 beckster

beckster

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 08:24 AM

I believe it is the height of your arm in second position, i.e. somewhere between your shoulder and your waist. Most of us have to compromise in class - in fact I now find it hard to use the lower barre when two are available, being 5' tall and used to a barre that is too high!

#3 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:27 AM

IMO, it should be approximately at the height of one's waist, or perhaps just a very little bit higher. This allows you to make sure your arm is relaxed and you're not gripping the barre.

#4 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:42 AM

I always assumed the height was 3'6". Kay Ambrose in her 'Ballet Student's Primer' also lists this height---unless with all the tall dancers now, this, too, has changed.

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 01:09 PM

Hans' rule of thumb is the correct one. You'll have a custom barre that's just right for you if you follow his advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):