This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Barre Height

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 10:57 AM

My husband is going to put up a barre for me to practice at home. What is the proper height for a wall-mounted barre, please?

#2 beckster

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 08:24 AM

I believe it is the height of your arm in second position, i.e. somewhere between your shoulder and your waist. Most of us have to compromise in class - in fact I now find it hard to use the lower barre when two are available, being 5' tall and used to a barre that is too high!

#3 Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 09:27 AM

IMO, it should be approximately at the height of one's waist, or perhaps just a very little bit higher. This allows you to make sure your arm is relaxed and you're not gripping the barre.

#4 atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 10:42 AM

I always assumed the height was 3'6". Kay Ambrose in her 'Ballet Student's Primer' also lists this height---unless with all the tall dancers now, this, too, has changed.

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 01:09 PM

Hans' rule of thumb is the correct one. You'll have a custom barre that's just right for you if you follow his advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):