• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Dancing Angel

Dancing Angel

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 01:27 PM

I think it was Aleksandar Antonijevic. Did anyone see these two together dance Swan Lake?

#17 OttawaMom

OttawaMom

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 01:58 PM

I took my 13 year old daughter to the NBOC Swan Lake in Ottawa (Canada) on Friday, March 14, along with one of her ballet buddies. This was the first time for all of us to see it and, therefore, we could not compare it to that of any other company/choreographer. All this to say that we thought it was beautiful. Xiao Nan Yu had the lead that night as Odette/Odile (Heather Ogden and Sonia Rodriguez danced for the other two shows. We thought Xiao Nan Yu was very lovely. Ryan Boorne was the Prince and Rex Harrington was Rothbert and Martine Lamy danced beautifully also as the Wench. The costumes and scenery were also incredible.

P.S. I saw an earlier post from another ballet mom in Ottawa - what did you and your son think of the show?

#18 Paquita

Paquita

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 09:34 AM

I saw the same cast 2 years ago. I must agree that Xiao Nan Yu was absolutely beautiful, especially as Odette.

#19 dancemomCA

dancemomCA

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 06:05 AM

This review is a bit late - my son, a dancer, and I took in the March 15th performance in Ottawa with Cote/Ogden in the lead roles.

I was curious to get my son's reaction to Act I with the male ensemble, as his comment is usually that men never receive enough stage time. Well, he wasn't overly impressed with Kudelka's choreography, called it boring and repetitive and also noticed very early on that the men were not in synch. There was one dancer in the back corner who was always a touch behind - very annoying and distracting. The men came out flat in the first few minutes (tired?) - I kept waiting for them to "get into the dance". Stephanie Hutchinson was a feisty wench, providing welcome energy into Act I. The final scene didn't bother me, and my son, at 13, didn't realize what was taking place in the corner until I told him. His question was "why?". What was the point of the rape?

I found Ogden removed from her Odette role, she danced a far better Odile - technically she is wonderful, but she is missing emotive expression and contact with the audience. However, their pas de deuxs were excellent, especially as Odile and one of the highlights of the performance.

And I agree with a previous poster about Rothbart's tiedyed hippie creation - I mean, what was that? Not very evil looking, and those weird head pieces - way over the top. They looked so heavy and cumbersome. The Queen's long, long train also got caught on the wooden rampert and pulled her to a sudden stop while mounting the stairs. A lady-in-waiting saved the day and calmly lifted up the train and they regally carried on!

My son thought that the female corps carried the performance, he said he got shivers watching their ensemble performances and was very impressed with their technique. So let's hear it for the often overlooked corps.

The ending I found a bit confusing and depressing. As I write this I still have mixed feelings about this "Swan Lake", the dancing was superb in most places, I found the set beautiful in its bleakness and I thoroughly enjoyed Cote and the corps.

There you have it from Ottawa.

#20 Dancing Angel

Dancing Angel

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 01:15 PM

Thank you, dancemomCA , for that review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):