Tutus

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 03:28 AM

For a precise description, I'll try to do my best, but if you go to www.imagidanse.com, on the first page, where you choose your language, there's a photo of Elisabeth Platel in one of those tutus. They are quite large (but it doesn't really show on that photo), and a bit curved towards the floor (I mean not flat and completely horizontal) because of the weight and it shows particularly on a photo of the corps de ballet I have (I'll see if I can find it or a similar somewhere on the web). They have about 12 layers of "tulle" (I don't know what it's called in English), but I think, i'm not sure though, that each layer is already double. They don't have any feathers on them, just plastic ones.
Su-lian.

#17 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 February 2003 - 03:30 AM

Sorry, a comma came in, it's:
www.imagidanse.com
Su-lian.

#18 mom who sews

mom who sews

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 03:14 PM

nlkflint --- you mentioned the bodice "curling up" after a few wearings: did the bodices not have boning? That would solve the problem of the curling as well as support the dancer.

We have recently tried sewing bodices out of lycra, and have found a happy medium between the "stiff" and the leotard look. The lycra helps with having the costume fit a variety of dancers, without going through lots of alterations.

#19 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 04:10 PM

That seems interesting! I would like to see the result! How did you manage to make the lycra not look too much like a leotard? Something in between "stiff" and "leotard look" would seem good in my opinion, especially if it's easy to wear and can fit different dancers.

#20 Guest_lil_dega_*

Guest_lil_dega_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 February 2003 - 10:03 PM

Hi! that's an interesting question su-lian, definitely not silly. i'm from the philippines and in here, we have those two types of tutus. i haven't tried wearing the one-piece tutus though that look like leotards. Since i have danced internationally in australia, i must say that costume-making is less expensive here in the philippines than anywhere in the world. one reason could be that we have the materials needed. so since the stiffer tutus look better on stage, we still choose to make them instead of the softer ones. i think this is another aspect that costume-designers should look into. it is not only because one-piece tutus break the dancers' lines but also because economically, they're less pricey. i think that's to our advantage! makes you want to have your costumes made here huh? but then again, there's freight-out costs if you order from me! haha!

#21 mom who sews

mom who sews

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:25 AM

su-lian

about our lycra bodices: There were two factors in how we acheived an un-leotard look.

First of all, we used a traditional bodice pattern (pointed front) and basque, as well as all the piping around the top and bottom of the bodice and all the other details.

Second, we found a lace lycra the exact color of the regular lycra fabric, and layered them. Lucky us!:) :) :)

#22 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:36 AM

One of the reasons that the Philippines and many other Asian nations have low prices for clothing is that the taxes on fabric or import duties are very low or nonexistent. I still have a beautiful barong I wear for very dressy August occasions! And I was in the RP nearly 30 years ago!

#23 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 02:46 PM

Thank you mom who sews and everybody else too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):