This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

prix de lausanne

monte

the Prix gold medal winner Steven McRae (sorry, I' m not being picky:)) and a finalist Alexander Campbell are Aussie boys from Sydney. I've seen them both dance here in Sydney and they are impressive, though two different "styles". Alexander won the Mc Donald's Performing Arts Challenge 2002 ( I don't know if it's connected to the fast food company of the same name, haha) and Steven won the Gold medal in the Genee competition 2002, Sydney, an RAD comp held for the first time outside the Uk. i'm happy to let you know both have got scholarships to the Royal Ballet School and will join some more Aussies, Natasha Kusen and Phillip Brock-Atkinson. Go the Aussies. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi,Oi, Oi. ( No offence to other countries:))

hi balletmom 311,

We had the same problem, very annoying particularly when you want to watch people you know dance. All I can suggest is to try again over the next few days, which is what we did and we got a synchronised sound and picture the second time we tried. :o Hope you get to see it, there are some great dancers there.

I was wondering the same about North America. There was one dancer from Mexico, but none from Canada or the US....interesting given Mavis Staines' involvement now.

I watched the video last night and while the picture was awfully small and I fel silly watching it with my reading glasses, things seemed to be well syncronized.

Thanks for posting the link for the prix de lausanne. I watched it with my daughter. I had a question on how the YAGP, Jackson or NY International competitions "compare" to the prix de lausanne in terms of the quality of the dancing. I understand that the prix is the "top serious" ballet competition.

Would YAGP be worth attending or is it more similar to the type of competitions that some ballet school comp teams do where so many get "top prize"? We live near NYC and I was thinking of taking my daughter in to see it.

Thanks for any info or directing me to a link if this has already been discussed.

Thing is, they're not the same. Lausanne is just for students. Jackson accepts dancers up to age 26, I think. If you aren't already dancing somewhere you have to pre-qualify. There are cash prizes, not scholarship prizes as at Lausanne. I think people tend, with some exceptions of course, to go to competitions where travel isn't going to be too difficult. The format in the NYIBC is different because of the dancers for the most part doing the same pieces except for a variation they choose, and I think that fewer professionals go to this competition (although correct me if I'm wrong and I don't think it was always that way). I don't know about the YAGP.

I have been trying to watch these videos for months now and it just doesn't play for me. I have the latest real player installed but all that comes up is the box with the little camera icon and no film. Any computer geeks out there with suggestions? I was able to watch these last year on my same computer - a Dell PC.

dancindaughter, I think that the YAGP would be beneficial to attend, it does definately have quality dancing. It is a prestigious competition, not just one of those that any old studio can enter. If you want proof, look at the pictures on the website, they are beautiful!

www.yagp.org

And mom2, there definately was at least one person from the US- I know that for a fact because a girl from my dance school went. :)

Many Australian students enter the Prix because they would go to Britain for the Genee and to audition for British ballet schools, then it was only a hop over to the Continent for the Prix de Lausanne. Now that the Genee is going to be held in other countries I don't know how it will effect the number of Australian students entering the Prix because it may end up being more costly.