• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 09:35 PM

last night i saw, for the first time, some choreography by Australian Simon Dow, the previous AD of Milwaukee Ballet, now AD of West Australian Ballet.

two of his works were presented, a pas de deux from Spartacus, and his Rite of Spring.

i wonder whether any members have seen any of his works before, and can offer any thoughts about either of these works, OR about his choreography in general?

postscript: i think this 'rite of spring' is a new creation.

#2 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 05:38 AM

picking up my thread with zero replies, eight months later:

still no takers? :shrug:

#3 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 05:41 AM

Sorry Grace. Though I knew Simon in NYC many years ago and have heard wonderful reports about him as a teacher, I've never seen his ballets.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 08:21 AM

Simon Dow danced with Washington Ballet for several years (very nice dancer) and was assistant (or possibly associate, I forget) artistic director for a year -- one of the poor fellow who came in thinking they had the company only to find that Miss Day still reigned.

I saw one of his ballets then -- very after Forsythe, during the period when Forsythe's "ballets" had some dancers doing nonstop movement with others walking around with odd things on their heads. I also saw a piece he did for a workshop at WB, a very heartfelt work about AIDS that I didn't find very interesting as choreography.

(I'd also say that he had the reputation here for being a very, very nice person as well as an excellent teacher, especially good at working with dancers who are injured, with a gift for slowly bringing them back to fighting shape.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):