This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Give It a Rest!

Ari

1. 1. Give It a Rest!

• [b]Firebird[/b]
    • [b]The Nutcracker[/b]
    • [b]Romeo and Juliet[/b]
    • [b]Serenade[/b]
    • [b]Swan Lake[/b]
    • [b]other[/b] (specify)

Yes, I voted for Nutcracker too, Solballets Mom! I have seen so many productions of it because you always think it could be a good one, that I know feel a bit sick just at the idea of it. It even started to make me hate the music, which was my favourite when I was small. There are so many weird and modern productions also! Everyone tries to be original, but most of them aren't, and shouldn't The Nutcracker stay The Nutcracker? I remember watching a programm on the Nutcracker, and someone said (especially about the ones who twist around the story) "If they want to do a new ballet, they should do a new ballet, but they call it the Nutcracker because it attracts the audience" and someone else said that in his native town, they had a production of it every year and he couldn't see any more Nutcrackers.

Guest twinklehooves

I voted for Nutcracker b/c it get's sooo old!!!!!!!!! And boring!!!!!

:)

Nutcracker. If Coppelia were there, that would be my choice. I loathe Coppelia. The storyline is stupid, the doll choreography annoys me ... and I have a thing about ballets which are meant to be a story but they fill up an entire act with dances which seem to exist purely so that everyone gets a chance to have a go. It's all very well in a ballet school performance, but in a professional company, totally unnecessary. Sadly my favourite ever ballet music is in Coppelia.

I had at first been a bit curious why Ari chose "The Firebird" as a contender, since I didn't remember having seen that many productions lately. Then the DTH season was announced, and I remembered :) (Nothing against the ballet, it's just that I've seen it approximately 89 times.) There are several new productions of this ballet coming up, too. Not sure whether that's good news or bad news.

Nutcracker pays the bills, but it is so boring! Every department store plays the score to show they can play "sophisticated" Christmas music.

Too many pink tutus, this is where ballet pink comes from.

I'd like to suspend all ballets with a "fairy" in it (Sleeping beauty, Cinderella, Giselle) Just to make everyone think outside the box.

MJY

Well, I'm going to vote for Apollo (sorry Mr. B). The performances I've seen really haven't stood the test of time, in my humble non-dancer opinion.

And if the performance of Spectre de la Rose I saw recently from NBOC was any indication of what this ballet is supposed to be like, I'd vote for it too.

Originally posted by grace

i actually DO LIKE nutcracker - but in australia we fairly rarely see it.

Yeah, I've actually never seen the nutcracker! I've heared the music so many times it is kind of annoying but i'd still love to see it!!

Instead i voted for Swan Lake simply because we did it last year and i can't stand to hear it again for a while!! I know it'll wear off and i'll be in love with it again in no time!!!