Give It a Rest!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Give It a Rest! (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Give It a Rest!

1. [b]Firebird[/b] (4 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

2. [b]The Nutcracker[/b] (30 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

3. [b]Romeo and Juliet[/b] (11 votes [14.47%])

Percentage of vote: 14.47%

4. [b]Serenade[/b] (3 votes [3.95%])

Percentage of vote: 3.95%

5. [b]Swan Lake[/b] (14 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

6. [b]other[/b] (specify) (14 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

Vote

#1 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:29 PM

There are some ballets that never seem to go away. Whenever you look at the repertory a company is performing, at least one of them is being given. A company comes to town that you've never seen before, and you're eagerly looking forward to seeing whatever it is that makes the company unique, but what you see in the brochures is . . . you fill in the blank.

If you were World Commissioner of Ballet and had the power to ban all performances of any ballet with the titles listed above, by any choreographer, for a period of, say, five years, which would it be?

(Of course, we all acknowledge the importance of a continuous performance tradition. But this is spleen talking in this thread. :mad: )

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:35 PM

Dracula!

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:35 PM

There's room for spleen in ballet too, Ari. Great topic! Can we only vote for one? :mad:

Seriously, I think there are ballets that need a rest, and when we see them again we'll be ever so grateful. Both for the rest, and to see them again. I have a long hit list, but I'll take the 5th.

#4 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:59 PM

I agree with Leigh: Dracula.

(And I've even designed one; but I still hate it.)

#5 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:07 PM

I obviously think Jewels has great merit, but rather than banning it, I might suggest that it be rationed, at least before the final ballet looks more like a bad Cubic Zirconium cocktail ring available at the QVC boutique to benefit the National Ballet of Anywhere.

I'd like The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude more if I saw it a bit less, too.

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:12 PM

That's a good point.

There is the "Flavor of the Month" problem. Every season, there seem to be four or five companies doing a ballet that has been out of rep for awhile, as though some giant, underground bazaar is havng a sale. This year it's "Rodeo" and "Slaughter" in the regions and "Jewels" in the majors. And the regional companies are beginning to acquire "Jewels" too -- it's becoming the new status raiser, I think, the way "Swan Lake" was in the 1960s and "Sleeping B" was in the 1970s or '80s.

One year at the Kennedy Center, we had seven -- count 'em -- seven companies doing "Swan Lake." One of them did it seven times.

#7 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 07:43 PM

Swan Lake. I've never been particularly fond of this one, mainly because of the score, but now it seems like every choreographer has to have their own version, which makes me dislike it even more. I like Petipa, thank you.

#8 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 09:26 PM

Tough time choosing between Romeo and Juliet vs. Serenade, but MacMillan finally won.

#9 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 03:43 AM

Le Corsaire.

#10 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 08:15 AM

Dracula gets my vote, though Manon and Onegin are not far behind.

#11 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 08:37 AM

I was going to say Swan Lake, but actually I would love more than anything to see a real one--it's just that there aren't any left anymore. So if there had been a category for ersatz Swans I would have voted that way. Instead I voted for Nutcracker, not that there is any chance it will go away soon.

#12 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 08:44 AM

Wait until Nutcracker is replaced by Christmas Dracula on Ice! Then you'll be sorry :D

#13 dancermom2

dancermom2

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 09:03 AM

Swan Lake! Too many sad swans!

#14 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 03:28 PM

I voted for "Romeo and Juliet", because I've never been especially a fan of that ballet (and of its music). But in fact the choice for ballet isn't that large in France, as there are fewer and fewer companies, so it's hard to have too much of any ballet... And please, if some people want to get rid of "Serenade" for a while, please send it here (as far as I know, it last was danced in Paris in 1997)!

#15 colwill

colwill

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 08:23 AM

I voted for Swan Lake, not that I don't love it but because every Company that comes to the UK features it. I have missed out on some of the touring companies in the past six or seven months because of the endless repition of Swan Lake. However I must also say that it is a box office hit, everone and his dog goes wild for Swan Lake. having said that I am booked for two performances by the Kirov as my next ballet :o .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):