This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Should cell phones be banned?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#46 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 08:25 PM

I live in a suburb of Detroit where the city council must have passed a law making it illegal to operate a motor vehicle unless one is talking on the phone. It is maddening.

My solution regarding my cell phone is to not turn it on. It stays off unless I call someone, which isn't very often. Since I haven't bothered to learn how to answer a call I just make sure I don't get any.

The humming problem is more pernicious, because generally the person humming isn't aware (or at least fully aware) that he is doing it. Especially during the warhorses--"Swan Lake", for example in ballet. Or most Puccini operas and many by Verdi or Mozart, Beethoven symphonies, the big 19th century violin concertos, most Mozart piano concertos.

Anything with a great melody line, particularly if it has been used in commercials or movies.

And very often the hummers are doing so almost unconsiously, so even if they stop they will start again.

With cell phones in theatres, the offenders usually know they are being loutish and don't care.

#47 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 08:33 PM

Was anyone else at that unforgettable "Sing-along" matinee at City Ballet in the 80's when the program -- Vienna Waltzes and Who Cares? -- seemed designed to encourage audience participation? And, sorry to report, they complied. Or at least the people around me did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):