This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Should cell phones be banned?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 PK

PK

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:43 PM

I attended a peformance where a cell phone went off on the person sitting in front of me(of course during the most tense time of the play),she couldn't find it to turn it off,she stood up and tripped in the isle and caused more commotion.Oye! At one theatre recently a gent with a lively British accent came over the speaker before the show and said "If you're going to talk during this performance,open candy wrappers,cough and sneeze,don't even think of it,and if any cell phones go off you will be whipped with a noodle!" Very cute(and effective).

#17 BalletFlaMom

BalletFlaMom

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 05:52 PM

PERFECT Mr. Witchel!

(PK - I LOVE the "noodle" plan!)

:(

Laura

#18 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 08:31 PM

Now you've confused me, Victoria! Am I, adamantly cell phone-less, in the Stone Age or the Information Age?

Dress Circle of the Metropolitan Opera House during ABT's 1998 or 1999 season. I was standing when the offending phone went off. The "gentleman" climbed over half the people seated in his row in order NOT to disturb them, and TOOK THE CALL standing beside me as he chatted away. Isn't it lovely that some people have such good manners?

I really like the idea of a catchy, humorous announcement. It would get people's attention, at least the first couple of times. I like the one Lolly described. Or something like those subtle, pre-curtain bathroom warnings on Broadway (do they still make them?) that the first act runs 85 minutes. "Ladies and Gentlemen: If you anticipate the need to phone your sitter, please do so in the next two minutes and then turn off your phones so we might enjoy this evening's entertainment."

New problem encountered at Ailey last month: the phones that silently receive messages on their illuminated screens that draw your eye. Suggestions, anyone?

#19 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 06:12 AM

At a recent performance of South Pacific at the Arena Stage in Washington, the pre-performance announcement asked people to turn off "anything that beeps, flashes, or rings," and went on to enumerate all the possibilities. The announcement ended with the request that, "however much you love the songs, please refrain from singing along." This should be adapted for ballet purposes to, "please do not hum along."

#20 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 07:17 AM

I'm sure the cute announcements will prevent some cell phone interruptions, and I feel for people in Leigh's position, who are genuinely thoughful but just slip up once in a long while. But still, I think we'll continue to see this problem until theaters start tossing out the offending parties. That just might even shame a few of them, and with a little more shame for boorish behavior, we wouldn't be having this problem.

#21 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 08:19 AM

And how about those little pocket flashlights people turn on every five minutes so they can flip through their program during the performance? A few years ago (I don't know if it still happens, but it probably does) the New York State Theater looked as if it were filled with fireflies from all the lights and pages flipping!

#22 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Xena
its illegal in the US to use a jamming device.

I swear my school uses one and probably along with all the other schools in my district and surrounding areas.

#23 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 04:11 PM

I think the FCC would be very interested to hear about this. It's illegal to jam public frequencies (that is, all of them).

#24 Roma

Roma

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 06:05 PM

The announcement ended with the request that, "however much you love the songs, please refrain from singing along." This should be adapted for ballet purposes to, "please do not hum along."

Excellent idea! I was at a recent Kirov performance of Swan Lake, and as the Little Swans music began, the woman directly behind me exclaimed, "Oh, I know this!", and proceeded to hum along loudly and off key through the remainder of it.

They may yet succeed in getting people to turn off their cell phones, but how do you turn off THAT?

#25 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 06:36 PM

Throw things.;)

#26 primaballerina13

primaballerina13

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:34 PM

I think talking during the intermission or before the performance has started is ok. I mean it could be important. But I don't think people should have cell phones on during a performance. It's rude. People should turn them off like they do at movie theaters. Though making it a law is a bit harsh I think. I think people should be asked nicely to turn off their phones and if they don't that's their problem.

#27 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 05:47 PM

Unfortunately, primaballerina13, it's more than just "their" problem. When a phone rings during a performance it affects everyone within earshot, and is extremely annoying. Having them turned off should be a law. Banning them would be extreme, and certainly almost unenforcable. People have them, and they need them, and you can't ask them to come from work or wherever and not even have their phones with them. But, you can ask them to turn them off, and that could be a law with a punishable fine for not doing it! :)

#28 dancermom2

dancermom2

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:52 PM

The New York City Council just overrode the veto of the cell phone ban at public performances. http://www.ny1.com/n...tentintid=27905
It bans talking, listening or ringing of a cell phone at public performances (other than sports events or during an emergency). Violators are subject to a $50 fine and eviction from the venue! It goes into effect in 60 days.

Of course...who is going to enforce this? The ushers?????

#29 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 04:54 PM

I went to "Hairspray" today and there pre-performance cell phone spiel

"Hairspray takes place in Baltimore in the 1960's, a time when there were no cell phones, let's keep it that way"

:)

#30 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 05:04 PM

Originally posted by dancermom2
Of course...who is going to enforce this?  The ushers?????

Presumably the same Met ushers who took what seemed like the whole White Swan Pas de Deux (and a few minutes before) before ejecting a loudly disruptive kid (heard throughout the house) and his mom during Gillian's and Jose's Sat. Mat. Swan last June. :)

Of course, some of us know that the ushers can enforce the rules regarding standees to the letter when they so choose or are so directed. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):