This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Jewels" at the POB, february-march 2003

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 04:08 PM

For Karin it's what I would to say, she is not enough tall for Moussin, she has the same size and I prefer when Delphine is with Marie-Agnès, because the difference of size is more important, and it's what needs the ballet.
I think Romberg, Gillot and Cozette are wide shoulder also, it's for that they should seem more important, and I think the dress are not really beautiful for this party of ballet. I prefer the older costum of Karinska.
In diamonds, they take four dancer who are tall, Aubin, Ciaravola, Laffon are tall, and Cozette has the same size, but they are all together and with a tall dancer Rubies soloist and corps are composed of "small" ballerina, against in Diamonds, principal and corps are all tall dancer.

#17 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 09:38 AM

Yes, I have to agree that the older costumes, the ones they used for it on its own as Capriccio, were nicer. But I don't see Isabelle Ciaravola as tall, I mean, she isn't tall compared to Marie-Agnes Gillot or even Vanessy Legassy. I think she's probably only 1m60 or so. In fact, I have just checked, it was Aubin, Laffon and Legassy dancing with Cozette in Diamonds as the four soloists, and Romberg didn't dance it since she is now Premiere danseuse. They were the same except it was Karine Villagrassa was doing the fourth one.

#18 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 10:33 AM

It's very interesting to compare the length of the dancers, but I wonder, too, if somebody could tell us anything about Thibault's performance in Rubies? Thank you.

#19 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 01:07 PM

I don't see him again in Rubies soloist part, his first performance should be next week and I should go to, I will give you my impression about it. Against I saw him in Emeralds pas de trois, it's a good soloist but nothing more, it's a good sujet. Emmanuel is also cast in the corps of Rubies and is as the other (Elizabé, Gaudion, and Belem), not better.

I find more interesting Christophe Duquenne whose nobody talk but who is a dancer as only POB is able to have with the handsome, the style, a complete artist. If an artist should be promoted premier danseur, it was him who has a wide repertory and is a good partner, he must aslo dance Diamonds part with Karin Averty, he danced also Emeralds first soloist really fine. He knows what means Balanchine style.

Isabelle should be 1m65 high, she is tall and she has long legs. But it's one of these dancer of Pob who dance with the "little" or the "tall" when she began to dance she was cast in purple soloist in Bayadere pas d'action, now she is in "green soloist" who are the "big" girl. It's the same thing for Duquenne who is 1m80 high and was cast in Allegro brillante with the "little" and with the tall in diamonds (other are Bullion, new sujet, Meyzindi and Hoff).

#20 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2003 - 02:30 PM

POB has a lot of valuable sujets (male and female), I think.
And this is not surprising : the ranks above are the top of the pyramid ! Past months, I was lucky to see more of Carbone, Saiz and very recently I discovered Thibault ! What I saw of him was enough to make me travel to Paris again next week :)
I promise to look out for Duquenne too, Francoise !

#21 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 02:21 PM

Personally, I wouldn't say I prefer Duquenne to Thibault, but I wouldn't say either I prefer Thibault to Duquenne. I mean they both dance very well, Thibault is certainly more talked about, they both have a brilliant technique, but maybe Duquenne's is a bit less remarquable in the sense that when you see him dancing, you tnd to focus more on his style rather than on his technique, because this is what appears immediately. Then you realise he also has an excellent technique. I would probably say the opposite about Thibault, that his technique is more apparent than his style. Anyway, I said they were both among my favourite corps de ballet dancers in another post. About Isabelle Ciaravola, yes, she has wonderfully long legs, it's one of the first things I noticed about her, but it was even more obvious when she was 14. It gives her an awesome line!
I agree with Viviane that the opera has a lot of valuable sujets. I am very fond of most (nearly all) of them!
Su-lian.

#22 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 03:35 PM

You're right Su Lian about the difference between Duquenne and Thibault,

For me style is more important than technic, and we tend to lose this style in French dance ;). I think when you see Duquenne as Romeo, you know that he is a complete artist able to dance the Nureyev version without technical fault, and with good partnering, and well acting, for me it's what must be a dancer !

I agree too that POB is full of wonderful sujet my favourite female sujet are Fanny Fiat, Muriel Zusperreguy and I love too Isabelle Ciaravola :o !

#23 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 07:22 AM

Katherine -

The policy here is that linking to outside articles is fine. Linking to a germane discussion is also OK. What we don't want people to do is "Read my article over on X forum" and link to it.

[Material about posting political remarks deleted by A.T. and LAW.]

#24 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:21 AM

I'm very sorry if I refered to politics anywhere, I didn't do it conciously. I mean, I know I shouldn't do it, but it might have escaped somewhere without me noticing. I'll be more careful now and read my posts a few times before I post them to check.
Su-lian.

#25 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:25 AM

I don't think this advertisement is for us, Su-Lian, I hope so :) !

#26 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:37 AM

Su-lian, Francoise and others -

There's absolutely no need to apologize. I was not referring to you. A post by Katherine was deleted in this thread, and that's what prompted the above post.

Here's the deal for everyone from the Bad Cop of Ballet Alert.

We're a board for discussion about ballet. We don't mind any opinions posted (including ones we disagree with) as long as they bring the discussion forward - meaning that other people feel they can get involved in the discussion as well. The rule on "off-topic" posting is also simple. The more someone is on-topic, the more it's OK to be on occasion off-topic.

If I think someone is trying to squealch or derail discussion, that's when I become Board Ogre. It's not a pretty process (think Bill Bixby in the Incredible Hulk, only I turn purple instead of that nice green that Lou Ferrigno got. . .) but I promise you that it doesn't happen without warning.

Speaking of derailing a discussion, let's get back on topic and talk about Jewels some more. And just keep posting, you're fine.

#27 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 09:57 AM

Leigh, are you as Shrek an ogre with tender heart :) and we appears sometimes as a lot of Donkey :D !

(You know the movie with Eddie Murphy as Donkey voice and I don't remember who is the english voice, I know we have Mike Myers but I think it's the Prince)

#28 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 10:02 AM

Françoise, I heard that a lot of cast changes in Jewels, are up for the coming days ?! Anymore news ?

#29 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 10:12 AM

Today we don't have any changement indicated on the official website of POB, but Hervé Moreau doesn't dance in St Petersbourg and was replace by Yann Bridard, I hope he will dance Diamonds part with Delphine Moussin saturday and monday. Fanny Fiat had a foot problem and she didn't appear in corps during several performance, she is always cast for sunday afternoon. Laurent Novis is replaced by Stéphane Bullion as second soloist of Emeralds for one date but I think he will be replace for sunday afternoon too. It will be strange if Laurent Novis must just dance one day.
If I have some information, I will tell you !

#30 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 01:48 PM

It seems like there are quite a few dancers injured, from what I've heard (Gillot, Legris, Dupont, Hilaire who isn't really injured but isn't in the best of health...and now Fiat also). It reminds me a bit of Paquita two years ago when Letestu, Bart, Dupont and Legris injured themselves and there was only Gillot and Martinez left to dance! At least, in Jewels, there are more roles which can be done by Sujets, and the roles are shorter, so I suppose it's easier to replace the injured (more dancers to choose from, the choreography isn't new and the ballet is not entirely based on a couple of dancers, I mean everybody dancing well in Jewels and maybe one not being quite ready is not like having an unprepared Lucien or Paquita for the whole ballet).
Su-lian.
PS:Sorry to come back to this, but even though the warning wasn't for us, I prefered to apologise just in case I did it somewhere without noticing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):