This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I have been searching for a video of SFB's Romeo and Juliet (Michael Smuin's, from sometime in the late 70s or early 80s). Haven't been able to find it anywhere, but I saw it once on PBS, so I know it was at least filmed. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if SFB's The Tempest was ever filmed. Thanks for any suggestions...

over the years, SFB under Smuin has been televised in TEMPEST, ROMEO AND JULIET, & CINDERELLA were all shown on PBS, alas, as Mme. Hermine has noted, none has been released commercially. as follows:

The tempest 1981. 120 min. : sd. color

Notes:A co-production of KQED and WNET-TV. Telecast by PBS on April 5, 1981 as a part of the Dance in America series. Taped in performance and rehearsal at the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco. Executive producer: Jack Venza. Producers: Emile Ardolino, Judy Kinberg. Director: Emile Ardolino. Host: Gene Kelly.

Choreography: Michael Smuin. Music: Paul Seiko Chihara after Henry Purcell. Libretto: William Shakespeare. Scenery: Tony Walton. Costumes: Willa Kim. Lighting: Sara Linnie Slocum.

Performed by members of the San Francisco Ballet featuring Attila Ficzere (Prospero), David McNaughton (Ariel), Evelyn Cisneros (Miranda), Tomm Ruud (Ferdinand), and Horatio Cifuentes (Caliban).

CONTENTS: 1. Introduction by Gene Kelly. The tempest: Act I. Smuin commentary on the dancers and designers he worked with on The tempest, with rehearsals and conferences shown. Kelly interviews Smuin on the making of The tempest. -- The tempest: Act II.

Romeo and Juliet 1978. 147 min. : sd. color

Notes:Telecast on WNET-TV's Dance in America series on June 7, 1978. Producers: Emile Ardolino and Judy Kinberg. Director: Merrill Brockway. Writer: Tobi Tobias. Introduction: Richard Thomas. Lighting designer: Ralph Holmes.

Choreography (reconceived for television): Michael Smuin. Music: Serge Prokofiev. Sets and costumes: William Pitkin.

Performed by members of The San Francisco Ballet: Diana Weber (Juliet), Jim Sohm (Romeo), Attila Ficzere (Mercutio), Gary Wahl (Tybalt), John McFall (Benvolio), Dennis Marshall (Paris), Michael Dwyer (Lord Capulet), Anita Paciotti (Lady Capulet), Tina Santos (Juliet's nurse), Lew Christensen (Friar Lawrence), Allyson Deane (Juliet's reflection), with Vane Vest, Betsy Erickson, Robert Sund, Val Caniparoli, Gina Ness, and others.

Cinderella / co-produced by WNET/13, New York, and KQED, San Francisco ; produced by Judy Kinberg ; directed by Emile Ardolino and Michael Smuin ; choreography by Lew Christensen and Michael Smuin ; music by Sergei Prokofiev.

New York, N.Y. : WNET/13, c1985. (89in.) : sd., col.

Notes:Cast: Evelyn Cisneros (Cinderella), Alexander Topciy (Prince), Tomm Ruud and Vane Vest (Stepsisters), Val Caniparoli (Father), Anita Paciotti (Stepmother), Kirk Peterson (Dance master), Katherine Batcheller (Fairy godmother), Nancy Dickson (Spring), Jamie Zimmerman (Summer), Christina Fagundes (Fall), Eda Holmes (Winter), Julian Montaner (Jester), and members of the San Francisco Ballet Company.

Narrators: the Muppets.

Scenery and costumes, Robert Fletcher ; lighting, Alan Adelman.

Telecast by WNET/13, New York, on the Dance in America series on December 8, 1985.

I have been searching for a video of SFB's Romeo and Juliet (Michael Smuin's, from sometime in the late 70s or early 80s). Haven't been able to find it anywhere, but I saw it once on PBS, so I know it was at least filmed. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if SFB's The Tempest was ever filmed. Thanks for any suggestions...

Although it appears they are not commercially available, I was able to see the Romeo and Juliet at the New York Library for the Performing Arts in Lincoln Center. It was free and you don't have to have any kind of membership. I wanted to see it as I thought my memory of the live performance had been enhanced by time. It wasn't. It was one of the best R&Js from a dramatic perspective (and you get to see Evelyn Cisneros play a street prostitute -- very fun).